2003 Timber frame render cracking everywhere

Members online

Test

So our house is a converted bungalow with the top taken off and a timber frame 1st floor. We’ve been in it for 6 years but the work was done by the previous owners in 2003/4.
Short story had lots of cracks and rusting beading around windows on the first floor in the last couple of years. So got a contractor to get the cracks sorted but when our contractor started work he found that a sand / cement render has been applied onto stainless mesh which has been nailed to batons over the membrane which covers the timber frame. He says (as I can see from other threads and online) that it should have had carrier board and then had a thin coat applied.
I can now see all the cracks we can see line up with the batons.
We are going to get it all sorted but my question is was this method something used back in the early 2000’s or when the work was done is it a case of whoever did the work didn’t know what they were doing?
Thanks

So our house is a converted bungalow with the top taken off and a timber frame 1st floor. We’ve been in it for 6 years but the work was done by the previous owners in 2003/4.
Short story had lots of cracks and rusting beading around windows on the first floor in the last couple of years. So got a contractor to get the cracks sorted but when our contractor started work he found that a sand / cement render has been applied onto stainless mesh which has been nailed to batons over the membrane which covers the timber frame. He says (as I can see from other threads and online) that it should have had carrier board and then had a thin coat applied.
I can now see all the cracks we can see line up with the batons.
We are going to get it all sorted but my question is was this method something used back in the early 2000’s or when the work was done is it a case of whoever did the work didn’t know what they were doing?
Thanks
All sounds normal spec to me. Done loads like this. Rib-lath is my preferred on timber. As long as you wire-tie mid-batten you should be crack free. Pricking up coat with sharp sand. So many intricacies in this application. Loads of builders prepped jobs like this for me… give me strength!