2 questions!

hail hail

Private Member
Hello everyone! I haven't posted in ages as ridiculously busy plus forgot my password but onna job now I need to pick your brains on.

First question is the engineer specified I split a room in two using thermal blocks. I've done this but now it's time to board, float and skim the extension and will be picking this up with it as it's inside the main house. The blocks are as dry as a whores c**t when she's on a good night. Naturally if it was a normal block wall wed give it a small soaking but these blocks are as dry as one can get. Would just soaking with water do or anything else needed. Pva or SBR. First time floating a wall in these blocks. It's something we don't use often here in the west of Ireland.

Another question and I should know this but can't remember a job when I've did this. The roofers when doing the flat roof had to pack the joists out. 30mm in places! Now the joists are higher than the block work. So when I go to board this on the underside, there's going to be a small gap between the board and the blockwork. Is it ok just to float up and let the sand& cement fill this area or need to prep it with something else before the scratch coat. Like I've said already, I should know this with my experience being on site so long but I honestly can't remember a job where I've did this before. I'm probably just overthinking this but would hate for it to crack at a later date all along the top of the walls if I didn't prep it right.

Any Other time, the blocks finish where there supposed to and just float as normal.

Danny, how's the beekeeping going. My own I put on hold this year with to much work on.

I've put sand and cement on thermalites under protest lol , I raked the blocks with a saw and gave it a good soak , tight as possible coat and flatten as you go whilst still wet , wouldn't use SBR as prep to slow suction imo

I've put sand and cement on thermalites under protest lol , I raked the blocks with a saw and gave it a good soak , tight as possible coat and flatten as you go whilst still wet , wouldn't use SBR as prep to slow suction imo
Thermalites already have a key, why rake with a saw?

Thermalites already have a key, why rake with a saw?
Key is not sufficient for render

When therms came out , was told they were supposed to PVA and skim , plan didn't work , Sparks need to chase in cables and sockets and block mortar neat and flush

Listen to a 40 year in the trade plasterer!!
These, on here know f.. All. If you are wanting a no come back, yes sbr it heavy then use expanding metal fixed with stainless u nails... Nothing will fetch that off with render on...

Listen to a 40 year in the trade plasterer!!
These, on here know f.. All. If you are wanting a no come back, yes sbr it heavy then use expanding metal fixed with stainless u nails... Nothing will fetch that off with render on...
Does it come in a can like the foam?

Hello everyone! I haven't posted in ages as ridiculously busy plus forgot my password but onna job now I need to pick your brains on.

First question is the engineer specified I split a room in two using thermal blocks. I've done this but now it's time to board, float and skim the extension and will be picking this up with it as it's inside the main house. The blocks are as dry as a whores c**t when she's on a good night. Naturally if it was a normal block wall wed give it a small soaking but these blocks are as dry as one can get. Would just soaking with water do or anything else needed. Pva or SBR. First time floating a wall in these blocks. It's something we don't use often here in the west of Ireland.

Another question and I should know this but can't remember a job when I've did this. The roofers when doing the flat roof had to pack the joists out. 30mm in places! Now the joists are higher than the block work. So when I go to board this on the underside, there's going to be a small gap between the board and the blockwork. Is it ok just to float up and let the sand& cement fill this area or need to prep it with something else before the scratch coat. Like I've said already, I should know this with my experience being on site so long but I honestly can't remember a job where I've did this before. I'm probably just overthinking this but would hate for it to crack at a later date all along the top of the walls if I didn't prep it right.

Any Other time, the blocks finish where there supposed to and just float as normal.

Danny, how's the beekeeping going. My own I put on hold this year with to much work on.
Can’t you cross batten roof timbers with 2x1 lat before you board to loose the gap

Sbr them thermalites to f**k.
They will sick the life outnof your scratch coat if not. Eml the gap at the top.

Any water you put.on thermas will be bone dry by.time.you mixed up

soak with water in the summer time
winters fine

spent years floating huge houses

just a headache running around with the hose on slow motion

I'm glad I'm just a skimmer now :bailando:

Loads of that will have been hollow shortly after you'd finished.
Re Plastered a kitchen for a builder we did that way over 30yrs ago recently and even where the tiles were hacked off it was still good. Even where the sparks had done his chases the skim hadn't shelled off.

Well, here we go haha. Once side blew off on me. Soaked the f**k out of both sides with a hose for f**k**g ages. The wall took some water I tell ya and one side still blew off on me.

Going to board it now instead. Client wouldn't mind insulated board on this side. Any recommendations for fixings for these blocks. Been reading online different fixings although some don't have great reviews.