2.7m lintel

Members online

Tinytom

I’m planning on taking out a 2.4 wide window and fitting some french doors and I’m going to have to fit a new lintel the existing concrete lintel is sat on about 10mm either side, I don’t want to go right through and fit a catnic type I’d rather just fit something in the outer skin and leave the block work inside.
What’s my options? I can’t seem to find a concrete lintel long enough but the steel lintels I can only find catnic type

C05C2B7C-BDC7-4E24-B0E1-3FEFFBCE6BF9.jpeg

Attachments

• A1FA6C1B-6D47-44D5-9FE7-D2CC181638EC.jpeg
    A1FA6C1B-6D47-44D5-9FE7-D2CC181638EC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 301
I’m planning on taking out a 2.4 wide window and fitting some french doors and I’m going to have to fit a new lintel the existing concrete lintel is sat on about 10mm either side, I don’t want to go right through and fit a catnic type I’d rather just fit something in the outer skin and leave the block work inside.
What’s my options? I can’t seem to find a concrete lintel long enough but the steel lintels I can only find catnic type

I've had similar - I went to the people who make lintels and got one cast. Simples.

You'll have to wait for it to cure though.

A concrete lintel won't carry the weight over that span without cracking and joints opening.

Your options are :-
1) Catnic lintel.
2) Two steel box lintels (one inner, one outer).
3) Make the patio door frame structural.

Personally, I'd use box lintels and put brick slips on the outer face to match or contrast with the existing.

I'm sure you know, but it's notifiable to building control. Which means you need engineer's calcs for the lintel, and a FENSA cert for the door fitting. Obviously you can ignore that, but if you sell the house then you may run into difficulties without them.

A concrete lintel won't carry the weight over that span without cracking and joints opening.

Your options are :-
1) Catnic lintel.
2) Two steel box lintels (one inner, one outer).
3) Make the patio door frame structural.

Personally, I'd use box lintels and put brick slips on the outer face to match or contrast with the existing.

I'm sure you know, but it's notifiable to building control. Which means you need engineer's calcs for the lintel, and a FENSA cert for the door fitting. Obviously you can ignore that, but if you sell the house then you may run into difficulties without them.
Is that a cousell house

A pair of those will be fine, and most of them will come with loading sheets if you do want to notify BC. Make sure you have 100mm bearing at either end.

You'll need one for the inner leaf and one for the outer. Both can be put in from one side or the other, it just depends on which you fancy doing, a bit of brickwork or some plastering.

A pair of those will be fine, and most of them will come with loading sheets if you do want to notify BC. Make sure you have 100mm bearing at either end.

You'll need one for the inner leaf and one for the outer. Both can be put in from one side or the other, it just depends on which you fancy doing, a bit of brickwork or some plastering.
Why can’t I put 1 of them in the brick work and leave whatever lintel is holding the block work up?

Why can’t I put 1 of them in the brick work and leave whatever lintel is holding the block work up?

The title says a 2.7m lintel is going in and you're taking out 2.4 window with a lintel just lipping on by 10mm a side. So I'm working on the assumption that the same cowboy worked on the inside as did the outside.

Looking at the age of the brick I'd guess either steel framed or timber casements came out. There may be a timber in there that you can leave in place, but it seems a bit daft to wait until you have the window out to find out. It'll cost £60 (from the link) to have the lintel ready.

Do it right @Tinytom ......@imago has it right. We chew people up on here for trying to do work on the cheap, don’t be one of them.
I’m not trying to do it on the cheap, I’d guess imago is right there were load bearing frames in there before and someone’s taken them out at some point and fitted plastic windows with a concrete lintel above but all the lintels are the same width as the windows, I think they’ve just been put in to spread the load over the whole window frame.
I’ll order 2 lintels @imago your right for the sake of £60 it’s worth having the inner leaf ready waiting.
Pair of strong boys on the outside?

I’m not trying to do it on the cheap, I’d guess imago is right there were load bearing frames in there before and someone’s taken them out at some point and fitted plastic windows with a concrete lintel above but all the lintels are the same width as the windows, I think they’ve just been put in to spread the load over the whole window frame.
I’ll order 2 lintels @imago your right for the sake of £60 it’s worth having the inner leaf ready waiting.

I'd use three to stop anything moving too much, sometimes with two the bricks above will move a bit and you'll end up pointing half the wall to make it look decent afterwards. When you take the old lintel etc off/out from the outside you should be able to fit the inner one from there without too much disturbance to the plaster inside.

I'd use three to stop anything moving too much, sometimes with two the bricks above will move a bit and you'll end up pointing half the wall to make it look decent afterwards. When you take the old lintel etc off/out from the outside you should be able to fit the inner one from there without too much disturbance to the plaster inside.
Roger the dodger. I’ll post in a few weeks when iv done it. Thanks for the advice

Wasn’t trying to have a go. You’ve obviously worked out what’s gone on before. Someone has done work that’s not right. £60 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.
All the best.