1mm-2mm or 2mm-1mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieseldogg

Always done skimming 2mm first coat an 1mm second an 2 big as I can manage sets in a day cos I've mainly been on day work but on sq metre work now so been doing it opposite way round 1mm first an was bit wierd at first but got hang off it now I think just need to speed up a bit, any tips from 3 set a day lads? Cheers all

Stick to 2 big batches winter and 2 big batches and a 3rd little one summer and put on as thick or thin as the wall needs to make it flat!!

3 gauges a day every day, if your using multi buy a refina s*p*r*lex trowel which will let you finish the whole set without a drop of water going on the wall, 3 decent hits and still out the gate by 3.30 job done.

1.33mm first coat 0.67mm second coat.

Advise on getting three moves done a day. Move quicker. Your welcome.

i usually lay on with a stanley measuring tape second coat wit a gauging trowel and finish witha concrete polisher, 1mm, 5mm and -3mm,
classy :RpS_thumbsup:

I am still a 2 mm then 1 mm spread, trying to lessen the thickness but do a lot of refurbs that need a decent coat, thoughts of the sponge work makes me cringe honestly...sorry sponger sits just not for me.

Use to do 3 gauges everyday except Friday, summer or winter, you need to be mixing up for 7.30am a good labourer also helps.

Friday afternoon just tape up and get ready for the Monday.

Iv never known anyone ask about putting on at 1, 2 mm, I think your splitting hairs there buddy.

Just get the scratch coat on trowel and top off (lay down)

i put the 1st coat on at 80mm ( with a speedskim, 2nd coat 80mm with a small tool... job done... I use a sweeping brush ( stiff bristle ) to trowel up with, saves pissing about with the 6 inch handbrush.... really....

i put first coat on with a catapult and flatten it with a spade then second coat as before then trowel up with my cat!
i have no fcuking idea how thick it is!

i put the 1st coat on at 80mm ( with a speedskim, 2nd coat 80mm with a small tool... job done... I use a sweeping brush ( stiff bristle ) to trowel up with, saves pissing about with the 6 inch handbrush.... really....

You forgot about the yard brush down your internal angles lol.

Av gone back to anaglypta, its all the rage up in the toon....................:RpS_thumbup:

I use this depth monitor to assess my skim thickness

tyre-tread-depth-gauge-pcl-562-p_zpsec097e60.jpg
read the back of the back of the bags!!!ffs .:rolleyes)

and stick to it.:RpS_thumbup:

I use this depth monitor to assess my skim thickness

tyre-tread-depth-gauge-pcl-562-p_zpsec097e60.jpg
read the back of the back of the bags!!!ffs .:rolleyes)

and stick to it.:RpS_thumbup:
I've got ten of them ,there called fingers lol

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

When you use this is it for the whole set or just trowelling up. Do you have the blade open or closed like flat to the wall

I use a s/steel m / town for a quick flatten then two trowels with the s*p*r*lex keeping the blade almost closed, no water at all, i give the blade a wipe with a microfiber cloth rather than wetting it with a brush. Not everyone's cup of tea but it works for me.

When you use this is it for the whole set or just trowelling up. Do you have the blade open or closed like flat to the wall

I use a s/steel m / town for a quick flatten then two trowels with the s*p*r*lex keeping the blade almost closed, no water at all, i give the blade a wipe with a microfiber cloth rather than wetting it with a brush. Not everyone's cup of tea but it works for me.

Used a s*p*r*lex yesterday on a ceiling ... did the same as you say ... wish id bought one sooner

When u guys say s*p*r*lex do u mean the stainless steel s*p*r*lex or plastic

I mean the Stainless steel trowel @windy. No need for a plastic after a couple of passes with one of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
When u guys say s*p*r*lex do u mean the stainless steel s*p*r*lex or plastic

Plastic.... did my research on here and thought why not...anyway as others said you can flatten more or less right away with the plazi... like scottie said you dont have to use any water barring cleanin out corners etc.... impressed to be honest as I had my doubts

I do own both I was just wondering. I love the ss super flex but I like the plastic even more.

Plastic.... did my research on here and thought why not...anyway as others said you can flatten more or less right away with the plazi... like scottie said you dont have to use any water barring cleanin out corners etc.... impressed to be honest as I had my doubts

so apart from laying the gear on, you use ya plazzi for the rest of the set??

i like the ss super flex trowel best of all. if i purchased another marshalltown i would order direct from usa. as i have heard that the export ones are now made in china and the quality is not there.

My old man kept nicking my spare s*p*r*lex, hes a year off retirement and hes been and bought himself one, he reckons it's a shame he couldn't buy one of these 40 odd years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.