1895 Terrace

Members online

Cymru1980

Hi All,

I have lived in this 1895 mid terrace for 20 years. The front of house is stone /brick solid wall which has been pointed with cement and I haven't touched it since moving here. This now needs updating and some of stone front is flaking away,

Q1 Should the re pointing be done using lime as was likely used when the house was built.

Also have had to hack off one internal wall due to patches of blown plaster. I removed several layers of different types of plaster - gypsum pink skim coat on top of a white layer, then greyish colour render with pieces of coal in it?? I live in South Wales so guess it was used as there was loads of it about.
Q2 - Should I be using a lime mix for internal finish also? There is gypsum skim plaster on the majority of walls in the house and I have no major damp issues anywhere. Could the damp be hidden? Or is whatI've heard re using modern cement based plaster on old houses just not that much of an issue.

Any help comments is much appreciated. Cheers
Wayne

Hi All,

I have lived in this 1895 mid terrace for 20 years. The front of house is stone /brick solid wall which has been pointed with cement and I haven't touched it since moving here. This now needs updating and some of stone front is flaking away,

Q1 Should the re pointing be done using lime as was likely used when the house was built.

Also have had to hack off one internal wall due to patches of blown plaster. I removed several layers of different types of plaster - gypsum pink skim coat on top of a white layer, then greyish colour render with pieces of coal in it?? I live in South Wales so guess it was used as there was loads of it about.
Q2 - Should I be using a lime mix for internal finish also? There is gypsum skim plaster on the majority of walls in the house and I have no major damp issues anywhere. Could the damp be hidden? Or is whatI've heard re using modern cement based plaster on old houses just not that much of an issue.

Any help comments is much appreciated. Cheers
Wayne
yes to all your questions /stud frame and p/board on internal if pos but if not lime without coal no cement anywhere

Thank you for your reply, would that mean having to hack off all existing plaster with a gypsum finish? Or just replace where required

Sorry for the additional question

Thank you for your reply, would that mean having to hack off all existing plaster with a gypsum finish? Or just replace where required

Sorry for the additional question
if the gypsum seems ok and wall is dry then use a renovating backing plaster then over skim the whole lot