1850's Solid Damp Wall

Matt_Paint

Hi All,

My first post, so be gentle:)

I've just removed several inches of old crumbly plaster off a solid brick external wall (it's rendered on the outside - the old cracked render is being replaced to stop the damp coming through). The brick work is sound but I guess the brickies in the 1850's weren't great believers in vertical walls! I have a 90mm difference between the bottom of the wall and the top from vertical in a couple of areas.

I intend to use insulated plasterboard with vapour barrier to improve the rooms insulation but am unsure about the best fixing method. Three options I'm considering (but open to others too):
- Dot & Dab
The wall is still damp, due to the cracked render and will take a while to dry out once the render is done. I've heard D&D won't be good on a damp wall?
- Batten out
I can fix timbers to the wall and pack out to level it but if damp exists the timbers may rot and I'll also loose some of the room space?
- Grippy Foam
Pinkfoam drywall stuff? Does this really work and will it work with such a large gap (90mm)

Any thoughts / comments would be great.

Regards,

Matt

I've had a quote for hacking off the old, applying a scratch coat and then a monocouche top coat - at the moment it still has the old cracked render on the outside, hence the damp wall.

Stop the water first. Dry the wall. Render the outside. Render and set the inside.
Finish and decorate to taste.
You're welcome.

Hi All,

My first post, so be gentle:)

I've just removed several inches of old crumbly plaster off a solid brick external wall (it's rendered on the outside - the old cracked render is being replaced to stop the damp coming through). The brick work is sound but I guess the brickies in the 1850's weren't great believers in vertical walls! I have a 90mm difference between the bottom of the wall and the top from vertical in a couple of areas.

I intend to use insulated plasterboard with vapour barrier to improve the rooms insulation but am unsure about the best fixing method. Three options I'm considering (but open to others too):
- Dot & Dab
The wall is still damp, due to the cracked render and will take a while to dry out once the render is done. I've heard D&D won't be good on a damp wall?
- Batten out
I can fix timbers to the wall and pack out to level it but if damp exists the timbers may rot and I'll also loose some of the room space?
- Grippy Foam
Pinkfoam drywall stuff? Does this really work and will it work with such a large gap (90mm)

Any thoughts / comments would be great.

Regards,

Matt

Welcome :D

We are a friendly bunch just dont mention uni finish or prices

Batten and plumb or use gypline and do the insulation with the membrane as you said
Hack off the outside also ,dry it out if possible