18"/20" Trowel & Spotboard

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ewing75

Not sure which cat this should be in, but as this one is trade related, thought it was best to park it in here.

Couple of questions -
1. Am considering buying either an 18" or 20" trowel for flattening in. Anybody uses either of these sizes, or recommend either?
2. Spotboards, wondered if any of you guys use metal as opposed to ply or marine ply as a spot board? Can't find anything online about metal boards, loads of stands but no boards! Maybe a gap in the market?

Huge thanks for any replies in advance...

Ive used a 20" refina for about 6 years they are a good trowel i also use a metal handboard, i did buy a massive one but to be honest its still brand new and in the shed.

I use an 18" for flattening its lovely for ceilings and flattening board work:)

Hawk or Hand board I have a 14inch magnesium one.... its ok

Nobody uses a metal spotboard? I thought the guy was taking the p#ss when it said all Plasterers use them, I've only ever used wooden boards. I purchased the stand ages ago, just wanted to get a board for it, but I'm presuming the ply spotboards break up pretty quickly cause of the water, or is there something I could treat it with?

I only have ever used or seen wooden ones....

not sure I would want a metal one... imagine the squeak of steel on steel... no thanks :)

marine ply is so expensive, i'd have to buy a full sheet.

Use chipboard then ya tight f***er :RpS_laugh:

If you need it, you need it just buy a sheet & make a couple of spot boards.

So how much was the metal one then ??:rolleyes)

I'm being tight I know... I think the sheets are 8 x 4 so should get a couple out of it. Now, just got to get some yacht varnish thrown in with it.

I'm being tight I know... I think the sheets are 8 x 4 so should get a couple out of it. Now, just got to get some yacht varnish thrown in with it.

It's a main part of your kit mate so you might aswell buy a decent bit of ply, mines lasted years, it'll last ages without yacht varnish on it, but for what it takes to slap a bit on it'll last even longer:RpS_thumbup:
Couldn't you go halves with someone to buy a sheet:RpS_wink:

i just cut up a sheet of ply i found. had it bout 5 yrs no probs. as long as its fairly thick it wont damage

yup my first was just a thin sheet of ply :)

I think I soaked it in pissed down PVA then over time it got a nice glaze on it :)

I now have a huge thick bit ;-) of marine never treat it though just keep it clean and moist ;-)

Danny

A normal bit of ply is fine, doesn't need treating. And nick you say you got a 'bit' of ply to use as a spot, its a F*****g 8x4 lol

WE USED TO USE FELT PAPER (A ROOFING PRODUCT) WHICH WAS SUPER CHEAP just turned it over in afternoon and threw away at the end of the day cant seem to find what i want over here tho

Bollox is the latin term meaning to confuse it's used every day in courts of law all over the world it is called legalize a language only they understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.