15mm ply for a tiled floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPS

Private Member
Lads just a quick one, the sis in law is having a new kitchen with a new tiled floor to go with it, the bloke fitting it is also tiling the floor and he has told her that she needs 15mm ply down first apparently thats the spec these days!
its a new house about 6 years old so the floors arnt fooked. His he being a tit or is this the 'new spec these days'?

The boards only there to even out floor levels and stop movement from floorboards which can cause tile cracking and adhesive failure. If its a modern house its probably got MR flooring sheet floors anyhow. You can tile directly onto these using the likes of BAL Fastflex or Ardex 7001 timber systems along with an appropriate flexible grout.
I'd only use something like 12/15mm wbp over really wonky old T&G floorboards personally. The BAL and Ardex websites have info on 'em.

If its screeded.. kick the fella in the balls and off site... Like EssexAndy says he's never heard of it, neither have I! The boarding is only under the tiles to prevent the movement from the flooring material cracking the tiles and causing adhesion failure. T&G floorbaords move with temperature and moisture, screed... not so much, and nor does ply.

no it got normal floorboards down and it is stained at the mo, i told her shed only need 5mm but the tiler said 15mm, the floor is solid no creeks or anything

if the floors solid and theres no deflection, then u can tile over no bother using the right gear, that fastflex gear from BAL isnt bad stuff. Ive used it straight onto a sound T&G floor no bother before. If youre still worried about it then go for 6mm wbp overboarding and bang the tiles over that.

no it got normal floorboards down and it is stained at the mo, i told her shed only need 5mm but the tiler said 15mm, the floor is solid no creeks or anything

Ah you confused me putting this in the screeding section, personally I'd go with 10mm board over existing or better still rip up the old and fix 15mm direct to joists.

If it's fairly flat I'd use 6mm ply screwed every 6" then flexible tile adhesive :RpS_thumbup:

andyr ive told them to go straight over the top but i got the same reply, he said 15mm so i said then all youll need is 5mm (6mm lol)

sorry essex i just saw this section and posted it here, im not doing the job so not that bothered what he does but the 15mm part as been doing my head in all day:rolleyes)

ye nisus thats what i told her (i ment 6mm not 5) but ya know what they are like when they know nowt they believe what they are told from the first person telling them

He's probably trying to cover his arse against call backs, but its over kill if y'ask me. Still, no bother if you arent doing it mate! :)

He's probably trying to cover his arse against call backs, but its over kill if y'ask me. Still, no bother if you arent doing it mate! :)
little one will need a stepladder to get into the kitchen when hes tiled it lol

cheers chaps anyway for ya help

6 mill wont do f uck all it will just follow undulations in an uneven floor far better to bed and screw Wedi board or similar cement board or as Andy said rip it up and replace with 18 mm WBP whatever you do the joists have to be sorted so there is no deflection in the floor.Adhesive systems designed for wooden floors are relatively new they may be fine buy i dont trust them yet.

It doesnt matter if the 6mm follows undulations in the floorboards as long as they arent huge! The key thing is to make sure theres no deflection. All we are doing is creating a 'floating floor' in a way. The undualtions can be gotten out with a decent spread of muck with a notched trowel and a level. No way id rip up flooring and replace with WBP if i didnt have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.