1 coat skimming with supaflex

Members online

feeling much better thanks bud, treading carefully for now but touch wood it seems to have calmed right down.[/QUOTE
Hot water bottle ,ice pack ,and vodka ,does not matter in what order :RpS_wink:,hope you get back on your feet soon mate :RpS_thumbup:

last word like I said if it turned out shite I wouldn't do it if I get pulled up on site I will be the first to admit I was wrong

evening Olican, glad about the back/you're back. I always fear more bad back and no earnings. That Sara Keys ( ?) the Kiwi lady knows her stuff, a spread recommended her book to you...the book helped me live with it not make it disappear. I also do Pilates at home, you can get dvd s off e-bay, and keep pack of frozen peas on standby in freezer for bottom disc.

done this for a year... did it on my house.... found out why its a no go.

makes the surface skim brittle and weak almost dusty, once painted even when primed the paint bond is poor and can damage easy and pull away . After finding this to be true i went back to doing 2 coats with no issue.

Well said.gypsem spec 2 coats for a reason

Ive been 1 coating for over 6 years....been using same contractors for over 6 years.
Gone back 2 coating because the fella I teamed up with cant 1 coat.
Its all b*ll***s IT PAINTS THE FUUCKING SAME !!!!!!

when you say 1 coat do u literally mean 1 coat? or 2 coats but with the same mix? i cant imagine how you could even get close to a good finish with just 1. thats a comment not a judgement.

when you say 1 coat do u literally mean 1 coat? or 2 coats but with the same mix? i cant imagine how you could even get close to a good finish with just 1. thats a comment not a judgement.
Hi pal,a lot of lads are using 1 coat,basically they put 1 coat on thicker than usual let it pull in a little thengo over it with a sponge float and finally trowel it up,im no expert as im a 2 coat man but from what ive seen the finish is ok(highly dependant on the spread doing it)but its obviously a lot quicker,this is where it benefits the site lads,also its just my opinion,two 1mm coats are stronger than one 2mm coat.

Hi pal,a lot of lads are using 1 coat,basically they put 1 coat on thicker than usual let it pull in a little thengo over it with a sponge float and finally trowel it up,im no expert as im a 2 coat man but from what ive seen the finish is ok(highly dependant on the spread doing it)but its obviously a lot quicker,this is where it benefits the site lads,also its just my opinion,two 1mm coats are stronger than one 2mm coat.

I was always two coat till about 6 months ago when I joint another gang and they showed me a magic sponge it will only save you about a hour a day tbh but I only use this method on board ! Lay on,flatten,sponge,flatten,NELA

talking to a site joiner today on a domestic job, and he said '' you dont see that on site '' I was two coating a ceiling.. is sponging that widely used on site, he said the finish was shite and the decorators were always moaning about it, never done it myself..

Anything goes on site to make a wage , one coat no sponge , one coat with sponge , handfuls of dab addy ,cream of Tatar in mix washing up liquid , I've even seen a plasterer putting white vinegar in a mix because he read it slowed down the set was like Mary Berry was on site and all because the rates are shite

Not really the best plastering I've ever seen was one coat sponge, as long as it's alright who gives a fuuuuuuuuuck, the site lads who knock it are fools to themselves

I personally charge a good rate for skimming on small developments/sites so all 2 coat.
I don't feel the need to throw on 90m2 a day like the guys on 2.50m2
If they were on 5m2 would they one coat?

Of course they were would there finish was immaculate I'd put my house on it its better than yours

Bobby when I say site plasterers are a fool to themselves I'm not talking about quality thats a different beast I'm talking about getting three sets on a day

You know when you go to college they don't ever tell you how to one coat using BG multi and a sponge! do it properly, your getting paid for it and in my opinion it's just f****** laziness

Anything goes on site to make a wage , one coat no sponge , one coat with sponge , handfuls of dab addy ,cream of Tatar in mix washing up liquid , I've even seen a plasterer putting white vinegar in a mix because he read it slowed down the set was like Mary Berry was on site and all because the rates are shite

handful of dab??

I'm 26 years in, been 1 coating the last ten years since the rates went to nothing.
I'll guarantee my one coat will be better than most 2 coat men on here.
It's called experience lads, it's what plastering is all about, remember?

I'm 26 years in, been 1 coating the last ten years since the rates went to nothing.
I'll guarantee my one coat will be better than most 2 coat men on here.
It's called experience lads, it's what plastering is all about, remember?

out of interest how many meters a day do you do on average one coating?

I do approx day 100m 1 coating
My bro does approx 100m 2 coating a day.

We work together both our work looks the same flattened with mt then finished with supaflex.....I mix a bit of stiff gear to fill out first.

The skimming is good every hit.
Or we just wouldnt get 200m skimming a day.

Lads who cant do it or think its rough....well its your own tuff shiit.

There is a difference @algeeman .... your work will have spur marks on it :RpS_lol: :RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: