Wooden float?

Cornelius

whats it for and why is it used? any advantages over the newer polyethylene floats? I've got two nicely broken in floats my favourite is a polyethylene emir float had it fourteen years and it took an age to break in properly

Reactions: Arm
Plastic floats all day long for me .great for render and keying backing coats .I had the wooden ones as a lad never liked them then don't like them now

:tonto: Is anyone willing to elaborate why they would lean towards a wood float or stay away from one? I'm after some information other than personal preferences

The old timers used to use the made of yellow pine years ago same as darbys because plastic ones wasn't around then

Wooden floats are must for lime work mate, as a natural product they do absorb some moisture during the process and change the surface, hence you will have more uniform finish. Hardly you can end up with flat spots without texture where this is no problem for the plastic ones and here is the answer to your question- they do not overwork the surface, which is catastrophic for lime render;)

Wooden floats are must for lime work mate, as a natural product they do absorb some moisture during the process and change the surface, hence you will have more uniform finish. Hardly you can end up with flat spots without texture where this is no problem for the plastic ones and here is the answer to your question- they do not overwork the surface, which is catastrophic for lime render;)
I'm doing lime work at the moment, bagged external lime (y)

I'm doing lime work at the moment, bagged external lime (y)
So you know which one to get then :D. Brake it in slightly before use , it makes all the difference. Use some fine sandpaper just to open the surface at the end of the day will be spot on

So you know which one to get then :D. Brake it in slightly before use , it makes all the difference. Use some fine sandpaper just to open the surface at the end of the day will be spot on
I suspected a wooden float would be an idea with the lime, never seen one on site though, ever. Wasn't sure if it was just a gimmick selling them, or if they were actually preferable in any way to a normal float

I suspected a wooden float would be an idea with the lime, never seen one on site though, ever. Wasn't sure if it was just a gimmick selling them, or if they were actually preferable in any way to a normal float
No , it's not gimmick, its experience and knowledge available to few. Not anymore I guess :rolleyes:

I thought it was something the older gents of the forum would be able to advise on (y) thank you, not done a great deal of lime work , I just used a standard float last time. Which worked fine. They got them at one stop for a reasonable price so might get one now :)

I thought it was something the older gents of the forum would be able to advise on (y) thank you, not done a great deal of lime work , I just used a standard float last time. Which worked fine. They got them at one stop for a reasonable price so might get one now :)
Get a marshalltown one off eBay around a tenner just round the corners a touch and you won't want to use plastic on sand cement again

You also want to keep a wooden float damp in between use it will help keep the grain open and stop it warping.

To bring the "fat" up on a 2nd float before sponging off we rip off the orange sponge from an old sponge float and use the float. Leaves a lovely finish

Oh and for the wooden float,before the orange sponge floats came out we used the wooden float for "napping". Also use them skimming where a heavy coat of skim is needed and also ideal for plumbing up heavy reveals with skim. Still have 1 in the toolbox but gets limited use now.

I used wooden floats because plastic floats had not been developed.

Yellow pine and used cross grained for Keenes Cement work.

Keenes.........now you're talking. Did I dream it or did we use keenes for corners etc with rules before metal beads???? I can remember my old guvnor looking at catnic beads with disgust.....saying " they'll never catch on"... as for wooden floats ...I threw mine away the minute I saw a plastic one....

Keenes.........now you're talking. Did I dream it or did we use keenes for corners etc with rules before metal beads???? I can remember my old guvnor looking at catnic beads with disgust.....saying " they'll never catch on"... as for wooden floats ...I threw mine away the minute I saw a plastic one....
I only ever used keenes on hospital corridor walls because of the porters trolleys hitting them.

I'd love to do render. I've only done small jobs in the past but never had the confidence for anything more because I've not got good knowledge of it. Never had a teacher