Which plaster do you use?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeadams1985

Private Member
Just curious as to which plaster the fibrous lads use?
We use to use @BritishGypsum herculite no.2 and fine casting / plus

But switched to lafarge prestia casting and prestia creation a few years back. Got a bag of fine casting the other day to finish a job off and can honestly say it's absolute horse **** compared to lafarges stuff.

Use the lafarge ca120 adhesive aswell. Much better than fibrefix aswell.

A lot cheaper too!

What do u guys use?

Last edited by a moderator:
We are using British gypsum e-cast at present ,
I think it's made especially for the Irish market , it's like the BG casting but sets quicker , we used Lafarge prestia 23 no1 for many years ,in the boom , but no longer easily available as they have cut back on supply here fibre fix for fixing , although the lads prefer the CA120 but same problem with availability

Well the general consensus among the casters was in favour of Lafarge , but seem to be used to BG now , it took a while , as they don't like change . Poor things

hi guys

we mainly use BG casting, at college, but in the past I've used BG casting, super fine, heculite stone, herculite, fibre fix and dental plaster

I have a cornice to run at the top of a stairwell, a simple Georgian Scottish style, about 7" by 7", comprising of a relatively simple rail on wall and ceiling, with typical concave curve.
It's been a long time since I ran a cornice, only ever did a few with my old journeyman and have run one or two on my own.
Was thinking of building out from the corner in a timber board covered in expamet to save core work/time, running the horse with a baffle, to build up in thistle bonding within a few mm of face, then simply use multi-finish gauged with lime cut faster setting to run in finished face..
Could this work out can anyone recommend what plaster I should use?
Any advice appreciated!

The plan is to multi it soon as the bonding is set, no need to pva in that case as I think the bonding will shrug off the pva/ pva wrong adhere when bonding is still green in my experience but def will scratch it, was thinking of cutting teeth into the muffle ( baffle up here) explicitly for that purpose

snip

was thinking of cutting teeth into the muffle ( baffle up here) explicitly for that purpose
I most always sawtooth my mufflers Sky.

in this case the blade is to produce the beginnings of a crown....
122802crown0004.jpg

lime and USG HydroCal White here in Texas.
090802crown0007.jpg

102902crown0002.jpg

102902crown0008.jpg

102902crown0020.jpg

010503crown0029.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.