Wheres all the work gone?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's gonna get worse by all accounts, have you thought about diversifying into say the vertical printed render market :RpS_thumbsup:

Hopefully it'll pass and pick up down here then. In 5 weeks I've worked 8 days :-(!!!!

If it doesn't pick up soon I'll have to sell my body, but I'm not that greedy wouldn't know what to do with all that money.

had a decent spell ewing75, but gone very quiet now in carlisle and not just plastering ,all trades quiet/concerned,

Same here Hector, majority of my mates are in same boat, joiners/ brickies etc... everybody I ask say its patchy, I wouldn't mind patchy over sweet FA.
Been told local contractor will take me on, but it's site work and only £2.50 a meter!

Based near Dover. I'd have to cover 40sq m's to make £100, have been told its a mix of board work and float & set. Have only been at it for a year so it'd be a real push for me, I won't have much choice soon though if the phone doesn't start ringing.

I work in the Hampshire area have the three spreads on I pay between 100 / 120 got six mouths ahead of me private and site work it's tough thinking about going back on my Own because it's less hastle

Based near Dover. I'd have to cover 40sq m's to make £100, have been told its a mix of board work and float & set. Have only been at it for a year so it'd be a real push for me, I won't have much choice soon though if the phone doesn't start ringing.

Where did you learn to plaster?

Learnt in Ashford mate

At the college?

You need to jump on with a gang to get up to speed on site. Look to do 50 m2 a day as that's confortable. However I can't see someone paying you a oner a day to teach you but I bet u need that as u have bills etc.

Bit of a catch 22 and I don't think colleges should be putting new spreads in this position they should be taught speed as well.

To be honest, I qualified in 2005 but had other stuff to do that kept me busy until last year. Speed has always been an issue, but it's something I've always been told by mates that it'll come with time. The tutors were great at Ashford but they honestly don't prepare you for the real world. I learnt more in my first six months on my own then the entire time I was at Ashford.
I don't mind taking a slight hit in the pocket if I'm getting my speed up, so maybe this site work has come along at the right time.

I work in the Hampshire area have the three spreads on I pay between 100 / 120 got six mouths ahead of me private and site work it's tough thinking about going back on my Own because it's less hastle

Good to hear still busy redman, that all round portsmouth?

Its not all about speed ewing but working smart and getting a method that works

Not blowing my own trumpet (never leave the house if I could) but my finish is spot on, no problem doing a average room a day, ceiling and opposites.

I've never done site work, everybody I've spoken to who has have said they hated it. But can't live on thin air so another week and will have no choice.

My biggest compliant with college is they don't get you doing big hits, so you stumble onto your first private job and have a panic attack about big lids/ walls etc..

i agree ewing, ive had couple lads from college, all they can do is skim and only a bag at a time, beading not great, cant float, render, and want big money, still got two of the lads now, after time they learn but can do more in 6months on site than 2 years in college

You're problem is you're the same as every other bloke who hasn't learnt properly you don't know what you're doing, don't blame other people mate

You're problem is you're the same as every other bloke who hasn't learnt properly you don't know what you're doing, don't blame other people mate

I've got no probs with the tutors at all. They were top time served guys but if they added big hits into the course it would have helped.

I went to college for a couple of reasons, firstly I was 30 when I done it so couldn't go down the normal route. Plus, I was working round the clock in my other job to pay for the course aswell as make up for lost earnings whilst I was at the college.

Status
Not open for further replies.