When to s*p*r*lex

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people won't like one, some will. But to say it's the trowels fault that someone doesn't leave a good finish is an interesting thing to say.

The NELA s*p*r*lex is purely designed as a finishing trowel. As for following / riding over imperfections or bumps, surely this should have been eliminated previous to finishing?

But Ryan, if imperfections and bumps and what not have got to be eliminated before the use of the super flex, then what is the point in the super flex??

But that's like me saying because I can get a bob on finish one coating with the sponge that means am not rough and everyone else is pants because they can't do it?
No, I haven't said anyone's pants because they can't use it have I? I'm saying don't blame the tool, which is what someone was suggesting. I couldn't care how anyone achieves there finish aslong as its to a high standard.

To be fair Ryan is a salesman not a spread and he rely on others to tell him ,it can be argued both ways the are a handy tool but the eyes have to make sure that beads are finished as good as with a traditional trowel (super flexes ) are used gingerly around beads and sockets.

I didn't mean pants , you know what I mean mate. If these trowels are that good id love to be able to get the require finish with them, but I've tried all different ways and the finish is not there and it's harder work than with the mt.

No matter what, if u use plastic, them superflexes, stainless or carbon etc it has to b two coat, plastering is two coat system, fair play if you can do one coat and away with it but it actually illegal [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

To be fair Ryan is a salesman not a spread and he rely on others to tell him ,it can be argued both ways the are a handy tool but the eyes have to make sure that beads are finished as good as with a traditional trowel (super flexes ) are used gingerly around beads and sockets.

Your right about the salesman lol :)

I only go by the reviews I learn from the spreads I talk to everyday.

The trade is evolving, which is great. Not every tool will work for some people. Some love EZE Spats, Speedskims etc, some hate them. I think it's down how willing you are to adopt new skills or techniques which show whether these tools will work for you

Because it puts a flawless consistent finish on it that is very easy on the eye, quicker and with less effort then any other finishing trowel iv tried since 88.

I would love to spend a gauge with you, because I actually believe you, but I admit I can't get the finish with them. I've got 11" refina and 14"Nela.

Because it puts a flawless consistent finish on it that is very easy on the eye, quicker and with less effort then any other finishing trowel iv tried since 88.
For you mate ,but the other 85% of the plastering world think an MT is better

I have to say that this is one of the most interesting threads on here for a while..............you could argue that any decent spread could use any trowel and still get a decent finish. ive seen spreads flatten with s*p*r*lex's and its come back to haunted them when the walls have been painted. it has its place its just knowing what part of the set to use it. Ive stopped using a plazzi for the last water, got sick of having to sand the nicks out all the time.

stick to what works best and gives you a quality finish. the last apprentice we had bought a s*p*r*lex after watching us but i wouldnt let him use it till his finish improved with a MT/Nela. infact he stormed off site and never came back so f**k knows if he's using the s*p*r*lex or not......................lol

For you mate ,but the other 85% of the plastering world think an MT is better

85%... Keith, as you know a MT and a s*p*r*lex are very different trowels. I wouldn't say 85% would say that at all. The volume of sales, reviews and current back orders would also say other wise...

I do strictly domestic work so is it worth getting s*p*r*lex and speedskims? I never have to throw 50m+ on at once. How are they for patching or smaller areas?

I think weather it trowels up right is to how think it it. I felt a had better results when I filled tapes an beads then give it 2 tight as f**k coats. And I mean tight as f**k.

To be fair were none of us starving, are we its not a massive investment buy it try it and if you hate it someone will always take it off your hands.
Making your own mind up is probably the easiest way to go.

To be fair were none of us starving, are we its not a massive investment buy it try it and if you hate it someone will always take it off your hands.
I,m happy the way I am ,sole in tacked

Was you admin on Plastering Talk ?

Wtf is plastering talk???
Is that on after songs of praise or countryfile??:(
Lol its a facebook group james, i pop in after church its mainly pictures of very shiny walls and peoples dinner.
Trying to educate them flat and matt. :muyenojado:

You can argue the pros and cons ,I think the pros are definitely easier on the body,the cons is some spreads will leave a lesser quality finish, the trowel glides over rather than diminishes bumps or imperfections,
But this is the man behind the trowel surely? so you are wrong to blame the trowel its not the trowel that says that will do ,neither do's the trowel say it needs another flick

Everybody as there own way, some don't like change some people do, but use whatever makes you happy with your work, myself I have moved with the times ,bit late for my body but its easier on it now , I use supaflex's, spats, both eze and refina and I bang decent sets on ,less water less friction so in turn easier on my body, the trowels are easy to use and I have a decent finish before material as changed colour , theses trowels are 33 years too late in my eyes ,move with the times or don't but don't complain about it , I used a MT/tyzack for 31 yrs im a convert, both refina and nela flex work for me same can be said between speedskim/refina spats and eze spats I have them all and can get a finish with any mixture I use ,maybe im lucky but I find it hard when professional plasterers cant use these trowels ,obviously there not for hard trowelling by the thickness of the blade ,that should speak for itself ,if I use a MT for everything to get a finish my timings are completely different but still its a no better finish and a tad harder work ,use your brain ! your body wont last forever in this game, one last thing if I was on domestics constantly I wouldn't of changed from MT the difference wouldn't be noticeable but for site work brilliant!

I only like to s*p*r*lex when out with friends!
images-36.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.