Vertical scratch

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember doing a job some years ago on a house which required stripping the old render off and then re-rendering it and tyreolening it.
We thought a couple of days to take the old off.. Not quite that simple.. About a week with a Kango and a pin gun. The original owner was conned into having his house rendered by some travellers, one coat like bell iron is all they put on - not even a scratch coat. It was a right mess. We lost out on that job (lessons learned and all that - one put down to experience). Got some pics on my of somewhere but here's one off the google maps thingy..
33A8A77C-02EF-4A72-90BA-9BF1553F2E0C-6942-00000A05E3442646.jpg

Owner was chuffed to bits when we finished and the last time we were down that way it still looked nice.

All scratch coats should be wavey and horizontal, it reduces the risk of movement, shrinkage and also gravitey pulls down on the top coat so the s/c lines produce a better bond with the top coat rather than vertical. Each to there own i suppose tho.
Do u lads s/c sand and cement damps? ive come across a lot of speads who dont scratch the top coat but mearly graze it with there trowel?

All scratch coats should be wavey and horizontal, it reduces the risk of movement, shrinkage and also gravitey pulls down on the top coat so the s/c lines produce a better bond with the top coat rather than vertical. Each to there own i suppose tho.
Do u lads s/c sand and cement damps? ive come across a lot of speads who dont scratch the top coat but mearly graze it with there trowel?

Always use a proper scratcher (unless its a small bit where I'll score/dab lines with the edge of my trowel).

Status
Not open for further replies.