Using Sika 1 for backing coats

john cushnie

I've been a builder for over 40 years and have done a lot of plastering in that time, I've got an old house to replaster after it has been damp proofed using osmosis, the building surveyor wants it plastering using Sika 1 render backing coats.
the last time I did this using Sika in the first coat and scratching it I couldn't get the next coat to stick.
so for the rest of the job I only put Sika in the final render coat, the walls seem to be fine and dry now.
Question is should I use Sika for all the coats and how do i get it to stick, or is the method I used last time ok?
I should add that I will be using plasterers sand for the render from MKM.
What is the best plaster to skim it? think I used multi finish/board finish last time.

Thanks for any help

Not used sika pal but use alot of sbr and we start early and put a scratch coat on till around 11.30, have an hours lunch then turn back and top it once its green.... beats having to slurry inbetween coats....

A builder who's never come across sbr I do wonder sometimes
For your information I've worked for 23 years for a national organisation maintaining a 1000 acre site with over 80 buildings including many grade 1 listed buildings, a deer park wall, monastic wall, tennant properties, holiday cottages etc.
Most of the mortar I use is lime based, I'm currently working on a low grade building on the estate which my original query was about, I came on here to get some advice about plastering, unfortunately there doesn't appear to be much about.

For your information I've worked for 23 years for a national organisation maintaining a 1000 acre site with over 80 buildings including many grade 1 listed buildings, a deer park wall, monastic wall, tennant properties, holiday cottages etc.
Most of the mortar I use is lime based, I'm currently working on a low grade building on the estate which my original query was about, I came on here to get some advice about plastering, unfortunately there doesn't appear to be much about.
Plenty info on here marra. Take the useful posts and ignore the rest........and don't bite ;-)

No need for the history .. I've never come across a builder who didn't no what it is that's all.. good day sir

Not used sika pal but use alot of sbr and we start early and put a scratch coat on till around 11.30, have an hours lunch then turn back and top it once its green.... beats having to slurry inbetween coats....

Same as above, sika is a dead mix an s**t to use. Bang some sbr in to fluff it up.

Board finish to skim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use one called pam-rend...and that has salt neutralizer in...... it aint as good a water proofer as sbr though..... its just the cost of sbr makes it hard to use....

From what I understand, sika 1 is tanking. Where as normal water proofed render isn't.

As always I could be wrong