Uni failure

Members online

So we now have a new limitation for uni, if the sun is shining it will melt the plaster.

Basements and rooms with no windows are ideal.

Uni what a game changer lol

I have kept some,,,,the only bits that came off were in the track of the sun,,,then it became solid ,,,,,coincidence ,,,all walls had same substrate .tested bits on wall in shadow areas,didnt come off.
Simply if its a fail it failed in a area that took direct sunlight side on.that wall did not dry out naturally .
I’m a bit lost on this . There were blinds up when you were there ,you applied the plaster and finished it and left then sometime later the client appeared and threw the blinds in the bin ,then a hot sun shone through the window and caked some but the rest of it was fine , I wouldn’t take this to court and I’ve been a few times

So we now have a new limitation for uni, if the sun is shining it will melt the plaster.

Basements and rooms with no windows are ideal.

Uni what a game changer lol
You are correct,,,the stuff could be flawed,,,,no denying it.would you not agree plaster does not like accelerated drying. I do not want to use gear if it has limitations ... and that might be one of them,,, the gear might no be able to take temperature fluctuations like it had and blown off.doubt it was a gubbed bag,,whole wall would be off.so i still say the sun affected it,,,,and yes the gear might have limitations for uv light,,,im no scientist.its all guess work,,,,
I dont agree with bg on the fail one that uni was too thick,,,that sounds mince.
This is what the forum is meant to be good for,,,report suspect problems,,,look at the start of the thread,i blamed product then changed my mind.so i am no firms man backing the stuff.if i have a issue with gear i will slam it.this post was to be as informative as i can about the most toxic topic on this forum,,,,if im wrong i will hold my hands up,,
Thanks marshy for your comment .

You are correct,,,the stuff could be flawed,,,,no denying it.would you not agree plaster does not like accelerated drying. I do not want to use gear if it has limitations ... and that might be one of them,,, the gear might no be able to take temperature fluctuations like it had and blown off.doubt it was a gubbed bag,,whole wall would be off.so i still say the sun affected it,,,,and yes the gear might have limitations for uv light,,,im no scientist.its all guess work,,,,
I dont agree with bg on the fail one that uni was too thick,,,that sounds mince.
This is what the forum is meant to be good for,,,report suspect problems,,,look at the start of the thread,i blamed product then changed my mind.so i am no firms man backing the stuff.if i have a issue with gear i will slam it.this post was to be as informative as i can about the most toxic topic on this forum,,,,if im wrong i will hold my hands up,,
Thanks marshy for your comment .
@BritishGypsum uv light .a factor temperatures fluctuations a factor ,

I’m a bit lost on this . There were blinds up when you were there ,you applied the plaster and finished it and left then sometime later the client appeared and threw the blinds in the bin ,then a hot sun shone through the window and caked some but the rest of it was fine , I wouldn’t take this to court and I’ve been a few times
Yes,,,the room was getting done up,,,they through blinds out,,,only affected area of wall was a zone the sun hit,,,,all the other areas was solid.sent pictures

All plaster has to dry naturally,no excessive heat whether mechanical or natural, what was the condition on the day it was applied , ive only seen reveals cake before or loft walls in the summer having shrinkage cracks ,ie crazed look no,not like GPS

All plaster has to dry naturally,no excessive heat whether mechanical or natural, what was the condition on the day it was applied , ive only seen reveals cake before or loft walls in the summer having shrinkage cracks ,ie crazed look no,not like GPS

Well it was autumn in Scotland so make of that what you will

Sunny full on the 2 days i was there ,,,re skimmed full wall.
IMG_20171111_135447.jpg
IMG_20171112_144925.jpg

@Vincey get back in and sort this, I missed this part of the trial due to my own trial as it were
Serious I’m not commenting anymore, you and donzo are doing good stuff here , have a serious discussion about it, you know the score John and plaster

Last edited:
Serious I’m not commenting anymore, you and donzo are doing good stuff here , have a serious discussion about it, you know the score John and unifinish

Can you confirm though if it’s sunny the uni plaster melts ?

So how do you explain the higher patches of blown plaster ? No sun on them
You are wrong again,,what is your problem...i did that to see if it had bonded in areas were the sun did not hit specifically and these areas were solid.
Why do you try to yank chains all the time.
Melted was a loose term i used.
John it makes sense the sun had a direct bearing on this,,,,,again i dont know if the wall was done with multi,or boardy the same result would have occured.

Has to be something to do with the drying of the plaster.
This uni plaster requires no pva sealer in the background ?
By any chance had the paint in the background become loose or any ways flakey moreso in that section of the wall due to continuous sunlight on it before you started the first day
No flaky paint.

You are wrong again,,what is your problem...i did that to see if it had bonded in areas were the sun did not hit specifically and these areas were solid.
Why do you try to yank chains all the time.
Melted was a loose term i used.
John it makes sense the sun had a direct bearing on this,,,,,again i dont know if the wall was done with multi,or boardy the same result would have occured.

Because you and others bite, it’s just entertainment nothing personal.

I can answer your last sentence however, the answer is no it wouldn’t have, otherwise we would all be going back to failures due to plaster melting lol.

Because you and others bite, it’s just entertainment nothing personal.

I can answer your last sentence however, the answer is no it wouldn’t have, otherwise we would all be going back to failures due to plaster melting lol.
It just shows you up for the guy you are,,,entertainment,,,you are sad.

It just shows you up for the guy you are,,,entertainment,,,you are sad.

I note no response to my last sentence. You may call me sad, but it's just banter, this is a forum aimed at adults, this isn't dannydaycare although some clearly need it.

Chin up fella.

The trouble is I like holidays too much, and gone are the days of cheap ones for me with a 6year old daughter, and a wife who insists its half terms only
Fair enough, you get old quickly working too much and moody and tired , imagine you been moody eh ,crazy

I think its one of the most embarrassing things that can happen to a plasterer when a wall or ceiling fails, and we cant give the client a good reason to why it has blown, cracked or fallen off, its happened to me with multi, and also bonding came unstuck on a job once and all the proper prep work and experience was used, and I would imagine we have nearly all had a misfortune at one time or another be it a crack or a complete failure regardless of the product used, hope it goes well for you @ Donzo and your remedial works out:)

I think its one of the most embarrassing things that can happen to a plasterer when a wall or ceiling fails, and we cant give the client a good reason to why it has blown, cracked or fallen off, its happened to me with multi, and also bonding came unstuck on a job once and all the proper prep work and experience was used, and I would imagine we have nearly all had a misfortune at one time or another be it a crack or a complete failure regardless of the product used, hope it goes well for you @ Donzo and your remedial works out:)
The gear has dried out too quick on that track,,,,this could be a flaw in uni in this scenario.@bg im sure they have read this thread. Off course thousands of walls have been skimmed then sunlight has hit them with no adverse results. Done conservatory's at all times of year,,,i know what refraction can do to plaster head on.i say to anyone using it and has a fail,,report it,,,,it all helps other guys here,,,you will get your chain yanked by you know who,,,but its just entertainment the jam said.

Definitely looks like it's down to the sun to much of a coincidence if not...

Would have never in a million years of considered that until that photo....

Have to say though, that's really rubbish on @bg part...

Quite worryi g really

Definitely looks like it's down to the sun to much of a coincidence if not...

Would have never in a million years of considered that until that photo....

Have to say though, that's really rubbish on @bg part...

Quite worryi g really
Let gps know that.

Don’t use it very simple, you mugs and your clients are just bg’s guinea pigs, and when it goes wrong they are not interested.

All this is just going around in circles . Donzo all you have to do is scrape all the uni off the wall then PVA and re skim with multi or board . If you do not have this problem again then you have found the answer as to why the uni has failed .

Well I don't know about you lot but I stick with tried and tested methods every time. I'd be seriously pissed off if I was in @Donzo situation especially the lack of back up from BG they will probably blame application error?? And deny any wrong doing. :rolleyes: