1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Trowel combinations

Discussion in 'The Plasterers Forum Tool Talk' started by PLASDUA, Jul 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PLASDUA

PLASDUA Member

hi guys

Just wondering what trowels/tools people use for a set. At the moment I'm laying on with MT, flatten with speedskim, 2nd coat MT then final 2 trowels with an ox ultra flex (upgraded from a 14" nela s*p*r*lex to 16" ox) but I've recently been told to get a plaziflex to use after second coat but before final trowel. I managed to find a plaziflex with midget trowel for £22.50 so thought I'd give it a go.

Question is when would you use the plastic? After second coat or would you finish with it too? Seems silly taking 3 trowels and a speedskim into each set now

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. algeeman

algeeman Private Member

are you busy tomorrow night ??
    i need a favour.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. algeeman

algeeman Private Member

probably

4. PLASDUA

PLASDUA Member

What was the favour lol

5. Cornelius

Cornelius Well-Known Member

Plastic trowel at the final stages of the set, I tried the nela mediflex and nela super flex today as well, out of the two I definitely preferred the super flex, but I can't justify buying another trowel really.

6. Gibbo

Gibbo Private Member

First trowel mt carbon second mt carbon third mt carbon

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Olican

Olican Private Member

Same here, had a young spread jump in with me last week, his process was first Speedskim second MT SS third s*p*r*lex Fourth s*p*r*lex I'm sure I even clocked him giving a few walls a fifth dry one

painful, his work was decent and got the metres done that I needed.

8. Cornelius

Traditional (y) no speedskim or eze spat?

9. Gibbo

Gibbo Private Member

No mate dont like a heavy tool bag

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cornelius

I think jury is still out on some of the trowels but a speedskim or a spat on a pole is great for skimming ceilings and flattening larger areas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Gibbo

Gibbo Private Member

I work with another spread and we put on whole rooms in one so dont work for us

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nicm

Nicm Well-Known Member

I got a speedskim a couple of weeks ago,great for flattening,still only getting used to it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cornelius

I don't often put on whole rooms in one hit, done small bathrooms before but don't like all the wet angles

14. Dropsalot

Dropsalot Private Member

Does anyone apply right to left 1st coat, flatten in, then 2nd coat left to right?..........

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Cornelius

And then up and down?

16. Dropsalot

Dropsalot Private Member

No, @Cornelius ......1st coat up and down, then down and up for the second.....
    Leastways that's how it's done hereabouts.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Cornelius

And then the cross trowelling gets really complicated!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dropsalot

Dropsalot Private Member

Does anyone change hands cross trowelling....right handed when going across left and vice versa??

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vincey

Vincey Private Member

I've started doing smaller areas now it's red hot

Also can't believe @Nicm has just got Speedskim, nice one :bananahappy:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nicm

Nicm Well-Known Member

Nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.If it makes life just a small bit easier without compromising the finish then why not.First time I used it I was going to throw it away,but after sticking with it can see the benefits.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Natwasere

Natwasere Active Member

My method changes every day. 4 tools I use alot are MT carbon, speedskim blue, mediflex and nelaflex 2. Usually if I don't have everything out it's the MT carbon to put on, flatten and first trowel, followed by nelaflex 2 on last 1 or 2 trowels.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Vincey

Vincey Private Member

I've switched back to gorilla buckets too mix leave bang out when dry , it's just to hot

23. Wazza

Wazza Member

Lol what the f**k you all on about old school mt all the way maybe nela flexi to flatten

24. John j

John j Member

Put it on with Nela carbon or it be mt but breaking nella in . Flatten with mt second coat with nella . Flatten with mt. Sort me angles out with mt . Finish with mt. If nella co.es good mt could be retired . Right at end I.ll wiz over with plastic as customers love that shine . Sod decorators lol

25. John j

John j Member

As for going left to right up down right hand left hand cross trowel diagonal some of your just do some miles a day lol. When other spread started with me .straight from college (he was top of class) I asked how he did it . I think I fell asleep he went on that much bout how many times he went over it. Told hi. To forget all that lol the neater you can get it and time things right less work for you

26. Gibbo

Gibbo Private Member

Flatten with a flex are you sure