Tender for a job. Those who price of plan!

Members online

hail hail

Private Member
Received an email from large building firm for me to tender for some works, however its one of them ones where im scratching my head at a few things on it. Whenever i price work, i get the plans, go through everything then pop out to site to have a look, and usually price when everything is in operation. If its stonework, its usually straight forward as in price in per sqm, through windows etc.. but when pricing stud walls/boarding/plastering, i like to go on site and have a look. Im really busy and cant get to site(if its even started yet) to have a look so just going to price this one of the plans and see how i get on. Quote has to be in for the end of the month.

Classroom 1 The Tenderer is advised that the measurement and descriptions are to be read in conjunction with the Architect's Drawings and Engineer's Drawings and Specification, making good finishes disturbed; Remove debris off site to a approved location by the Architect.
2.04 Construct new partition wall dividing off stairs and class room 60min fire rated, approx 4m long, 3m high, skim finish ready for painting 1.00 item Stairs A & Corridor & Stair B Lower -

Ground Floor The Tenderer is advised that the measurement and descriptions are to be read in conjunction with the Architect's Drawings and Engineer's Drawings and Specification, making good finishes disturbed; Remove debris off site to a approved location by the Architect. 3.03 Construct new partition wall 3.0m high - 4.8m long. 60min fire rated 1.00 item 3.04 Extra over for forming door ope 1.00 nr 3.05 Extra over stud wall for a layer of plywood to make a wall load bearing to support joists over 1.00 item 3.11 Take down existing plasterboard ceiling and fix 50x50mm counter battens generally to underside of joists, fix two layers of 12.5mm plasterboard to battens, tape and skim, leave ready for paint. Allow for services 43.00 m2

Reception The Tenderer is advised that the measurement and descriptions are to be read in conjunction with the Architect's Drawings and Engineer's Drawings and Specification, making good finishes disturbed; Remove debris off site to a approved location by the Architect. 4.03 Construct new partition wall to Staff Room 60min fire rated, approx 1.5m long, skim finish ready for painting 1.00 item 4.04 Extra over for forming door ope 1.00 nr 5.11 Extra over for boxing out 203x102x123UB steel beam in 15mm plasterboard, include for all angles, trim, skim etc, ready for paint 5.00 m

SET The Tenderer is advised that the measurement and descriptions are to be read in conjunction with the Architect's Drawings and Engineer's Drawings and Specification, making good finishes disturbed; Remove debris off site to a approved location by the Architect.
To Collection 17/05/2017 16:28:07 xxxxConstruction Page 1 of 4 Q8127 XXXXXXXXXX Bill of Quantities XXXXConstruction Code Description Quantity Unit Rate Total 1 Dry Lining (Continued) 6.04 Construct new partition wall dividing off stairs and SET room 60min fire rated, approx 6m long, 3m high, skim finish ready for painting - Note new stairs B to be formed adjacent 1.00 item 6.05 Extra over for forming door ope 1.00 nr 6.10 Extra over for boxing out 203x102x123UB steel beam in 15mm plasterboard, include for all angles, trim, skim etc, ready for paint 4.00 m

Classrooms 2, 3, 4 a & b The Tenderer is advised that the measurement and descriptions are to be read in conjunction with the Architect's Drawings and Engineer's Drawings and Specification, making good finishes disturbed; Remove debris off site to a approved location by the Architect. 10.04 Construct new partition wall dividing off stairs and classroom 2 60min fire rated, approx 5m long, 3m high, skim finish ready for painting 1.00 item 10.05 Ditto classroom 4a/b, 8m long, 2.6 to 3m high 1.00 item 10.06 Extra over for forming door ope 3.00 nr 10.26 Box off fire place in timber stud with plasterboard boxed off to 1.4m high, include for all trims, angles, tape and skim. 1.00 nr

Toilets - Ground and First Floors The Tenderer is advised that the measurement and descriptions are to be read in conjunction with the Architect's Drawings and Engineer's Drawings and Specification, making good finishes disturbed; Remove debris off site to a approved location by the Architect. Note - Wall areas and perimeter lengths are measured through opes Note Construct new partition walls form toilet cubicles, 2.5-3m high, skim finish ready for painting: 12.02 2m long 4.00 nr 12.03 1.5m long 1.00 nr 12.04 Extra over for forming door opes 6.00 nr

Extra over for forming door ope
Extra over stud wall for a layer of plywood to make a wall load bearing to support joists over
Note - Wall areas and perimeter lengths are measured through opes

Above in blue is where im scratching my head. Extra over for forming door ope- what is this they are wanting! Measure through opes. Im thinking opes means openings but what is it extra over for door opes? See above.

The tender doesnt mention if they are wanting materials included in the price. Have tendered work before for just labor but will ring during the week to confirm this.

Another issue ive noticed on the plans. Its saying ----
Existing stairs; strip existing paint finish,
apply new white fire retardant coating that
will provide class 0 (envirograf es/vfr or
similar). Treads to be fitted with nora
norament 920 stairtread. Underside of steps
to be double slabbed with plasterboard with
joints staggered and taped & filled. Voids
between new plaster-board and existing to
be filled with compacted rockwool

Its saying underside of steps to be slabbed with plasterboard and voids to be filled with rockwool, however this wasnt on the tender spec above. I know a call during the week should confirm my querries thou wanted to talk it through on here first becuse itll be my first pricing withoutgoing on site.

All help will be greatly appreciated

Site visit before you tender other wise PC sum, sounds like the usual QS looking for someone to pin the job on, QS sends out a few emails a day and thinks he's earnt his crust. Bet he makes more on the job than you do....

Used to get them but we had a Q/S who used too do them on the side for us they would do your head in especially when you don't win them

Site visit before you tender other wise PC sum, sounds like the usual QS looking for someone to pin the job on, QS sends out a few emails a day and thinks he's earnt his crust. Bet he makes more on the job than you do....

I received this email from a contracts administrator i had dealings with over the phone last year that was dealing with a completely different job.I was enquiring about stonework back then however she must have saved my details after i told her my business was also plastering etc...

Received an email from large building firm for me to tender for some works, however its one of them ones where im scratching my head at a few things on it. Whenever i price work, i get the plans, go through everything then pop out to site to have a look, and usually price when everything is in operation. If its stonework, its usually straight forward as in price in per sqm, through windows etc.. but when pricing stud walls/boarding/plastering, i like to go on site and have a look. Im really busy and cant get to site(if its even started yet) to have a look so just going to price this one of the plans and see how i get on. Quote has to be in for the end of the month.

Classroom 1 The Tenderer is advised that the measurement and descriptions are to be read in conjunction with the Architect's Drawings and Engineer's Drawings and Specification, making good finishes disturbed; Remove debris off site to a approved location by the Architect.
2.04 Construct new partition wall dividing off stairs and class room 60min fire rated, approx 4m long, 3m high, skim finish ready for painting 1.00 item Stairs A & Corridor & Stair B Lower -

Ground Floor The Tenderer is advised that the measurement and descriptions are to be read in conjunction with the Architect's Drawings and Engineer's Drawings and Specification, making good finishes disturbed; Remove debris off site to a approved location by the Architect. 3.03 Construct new partition wall 3.0m high - 4.8m long. 60min fire rated 1.00 item 3.04 Extra over for forming door ope 1.00 nr 3.05 Extra over stud wall for a layer of plywood to make a wall load bearing to support joists over 1.00 item 3.11 Take down existing plasterboard ceiling and fix 50x50mm counter battens generally to underside of joists, fix two layers of 12.5mm plasterboard to battens, tape and skim, leave ready for paint. Allow for services 43.00 m2

Reception The Tenderer is advised that the measurement and descriptions are to be read in conjunction with the Architect's Drawings and Engineer's Drawings and Specification, making good finishes disturbed; Remove debris off site to a approved location by the Architect. 4.03 Construct new partition wall to Staff Room 60min fire rated, approx 1.5m long, skim finish ready for painting 1.00 item 4.04 Extra over for forming door ope 1.00 nr 5.11 Extra over for boxing out 203x102x123UB steel beam in 15mm plasterboard, include for all angles, trim, skim etc, ready for paint 5.00 m

SET The Tenderer is advised that the measurement and descriptions are to be read in conjunction with the Architect's Drawings and Engineer's Drawings and Specification, making good finishes disturbed; Remove debris off site to a approved location by the Architect.
To Collection 17/05/2017 16:28:07 xxxxConstruction Page 1 of 4 Q8127 XXXXXXXXXX Bill of Quantities XXXXConstruction Code Description Quantity Unit Rate Total 1 Dry Lining (Continued) 6.04 Construct new partition wall dividing off stairs and SET room 60min fire rated, approx 6m long, 3m high, skim finish ready for painting - Note new stairs B to be formed adjacent 1.00 item 6.05 Extra over for forming door ope 1.00 nr 6.10 Extra over for boxing out 203x102x123UB steel beam in 15mm plasterboard, include for all angles, trim, skim etc, ready for paint 4.00 m

Classrooms 2, 3, 4 a & b The Tenderer is advised that the measurement and descriptions are to be read in conjunction with the Architect's Drawings and Engineer's Drawings and Specification, making good finishes disturbed; Remove debris off site to a approved location by the Architect. 10.04 Construct new partition wall dividing off stairs and classroom 2 60min fire rated, approx 5m long, 3m high, skim finish ready for painting 1.00 item 10.05 Ditto classroom 4a/b, 8m long, 2.6 to 3m high 1.00 item 10.06 Extra over for forming door ope 3.00 nr 10.26 Box off fire place in timber stud with plasterboard boxed off to 1.4m high, include for all trims, angles, tape and skim. 1.00 nr

Toilets - Ground and First Floors The Tenderer is advised that the measurement and descriptions are to be read in conjunction with the Architect's Drawings and Engineer's Drawings and Specification, making good finishes disturbed; Remove debris off site to a approved location by the Architect. Note - Wall areas and perimeter lengths are measured through opes Note Construct new partition walls form toilet cubicles, 2.5-3m high, skim finish ready for painting: 12.02 2m long 4.00 nr 12.03 1.5m long 1.00 nr 12.04 Extra over for forming door opes 6.00 nr

Extra over for forming door ope
Extra over stud wall for a layer of plywood to make a wall load bearing to support joists over
Note - Wall areas and perimeter lengths are measured through opes

Above in blue is where im scratching my head. Extra over for forming door ope- what is this they are wanting! Measure through opes. Im thinking opes means openings but what is it extra over for door opes? See above.

The tender doesnt mention if they are wanting materials included in the price. Have tendered work before for just labor but will ring during the week to confirm this.

Another issue ive noticed on the plans. Its saying ----
Existing stairs; strip existing paint finish,
apply new white fire retardant coating that
will provide class 0 (envirograf es/vfr or
similar). Treads to be fitted with nora
norament 920 stairtread. Underside of steps
to be double slabbed with plasterboard with
joints staggered and taped & filled. Voids
between new plaster-board and existing to
be filled with compacted rockwool

Its saying underside of steps to be slabbed with plasterboard and voids to be filled with rockwool, however this wasnt on the tender spec above. I know a call during the week should confirm my querries thou wanted to talk it through on here first becuse itll be my first pricing withoutgoing on site.

All help will be greatly appreciated
Someone's got a lot of time on their hands! :aburrido:

A bit of a gamble if you don't visit the site to match the comic they sent you to the actual job !
But if you can't then riddle the estimate with pc sums and make sure you state " all works not on this estimate or mentioned in the schedule will be extra with your agreement "
Whack a bit on to cover contingencies you may have missed too .

when i get these through i measure off.plans over openings as you do and state labour supply for plaster and boarding/insulation if you want. but excludes and wood work or anything else you dont usually do

If you not to sure the knobs at jewsons do a pricing service (in house QS) about £70,free if you are buying materials off them all you do is tell them the rates you charge hour/metre/day whatever and they should work out for you

Most of it is waffle,
An educated guess would be to include materials, if in doubt just ask for a bill of quants, any decent size project should have one to get finance on it.

Just get it estimated for you......there's loads on tinternet, or jewsons like has been said. If you do it yourself, the extra over for forming an opening is a " what if" question. Add in a good few hours for it , imagine it's just one door you've to do and it's out of the sequence of work, that should cover you.
All the best.

I price just about all our jobs off plan, it really isn't that hard.

I can price of plans aswell but this one is a bit different. If someone handed me a set of plans if a house for boarding/skimming I could price no probs. its just all that jargon with it throws me out.

Mate can't remember the last time I had a set of plans that didn't have a ton of words to read through.
My advice is to read carefully, making notes as you go and anything you don't understand either Google or phone the architect.