Tape or not? Filling chases in dot and dab plasterboard

Members online

Timothygange

Hi,
I've cut a load of chases (mostly 40-50mm wide) to add lots of wiring on a dot and dab wall. As you'd expect, that left the board really wobbly so I used Gyproc DriWall Adhesive to fill the chases and squidged as much adhesive as I could get underneath the exisisting plasterboard to try to support it. Left the adhesive a couple mm below the level of the plasterboard for now. So far so good - no cracking after a few days and the plasterboard feels really solid again.
Question is what next? Do I need to paper tape over the chase (given the width I guess that would mean two strips, overlapped in the middle of the chase) to avoid cracking or will the DriWall adhesive have enough strength/flex that I can just use a bit of EasiFill to bring it level with the plasterboard and then a light sand?
Thanks!

P.S. I covered wiring with galvanised capping and gave everything a couple coats of diluted acrylic primer before the DriWall went on.

Yeah, maybe that would have been quicker! I figured I needed to use the adhesive to get underneath the cut edges to give them support so might as well fill while I was at it. I was also hoping to avoid taping since it's a faff and builds the wall out a bit and if I filled with plasterboard it would definitely need taping - although maybe still does?

I cover everything that has a join with tape
No point not doing it for how long it takes
I would have kept the cutouts and stick it back in with a bit of spray foam adhesive behind to pack it out

Last edited: