straw bale shed - clay render?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just wondering whether anyone around here has any experience with applying clay type renders and plaster to straw bales? Am thinking of possibly building a straw bale shed with a green roof at the bottom of my garden early next year. However, have no idea about clay thus far. Have just started reading up on everything I can, but would be good to know of someone around here that I can ask any questions to if need be?

Thanks in advance.

Clayplasterman! no doubt he'll be along soon. He'll sort you out:RpS_thumbup:
clay is the way, as Paul would say

Last edited:
i do not think that clay on it own would be any use on an external. you would have to add lime to the mix.
the story of the three little pigs comes to mind !

He's gonna to japan for a new bride for crimbo think he's back in two weeks...........:RpS_thumbup:

Nor me I just remember him saying he was going away to find Pee Pah & bring him back whatever that means :RpS_unsure:

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Although I don't think I have to fear the big bad wolf, as if the first little pig had a baling machine, and wasn't such a skiver, he'd have been perfectly safe.

Yeah, so far I've read that you can use a clay based render providing you give it several coats of lime render. Although this info is mostly from the continent, so might not stand up to the British Winters (or Summers for that matter)...maybe I should look more into lime.

Martin, why cant you apply the lime render with a trowel, is it just the speed aspect? If I get the denser straw bales and then give them a haircut, wouldn't it be OK to apply with a trowel, and just use a bit of muscle to work it in?

the straw bales that i have seen used in building where made of straw,clay and lime all mixed together and then moulded into the shape of a building block. then rendered in lime.

Status
Not open for further replies.