Staining through new plaster

Members online

Noodles88

Hello,

I'm new to plastering and am taking care of a small (2' x 5') area that had some water issues in the past. The source was fixed but not the damaged plaster. After scraping down to hard plaster, and sanding, and after my first two coats of new plaster, I am noticing that staining is bleeding through the new plaster. I suppose I should have sealed the are first and thus my question is the following: should I try and seal the area now with a shellac, before doing a final coat of plaster, or should I wait to seal the bleeding stain before priming and painting? Or should I do what sounds awful and work on scraping my first two coats out, then seal and restart? Thanks so much for any advice.

Hello,

I'm new to plastering and am taking care of a small (2' x 5') area that had some water issues in the past. The source was fixed but not the damaged plaster. After scraping down to hard plaster, and sanding, and after my first two coats of new plaster, I am noticing that staining is bleeding through the new plaster. I suppose I should have sealed the are first and thus my question is the following: should I try and seal the area now with a shellac, before doing a final coat of plaster, or should I wait to seal the bleeding stain before priming and painting? Or should I do what sounds awful and work on scraping my first two coats out, then seal and restart? Thanks so much for any advice.
What's the staining look like?

Donald-Trump-Skidmark-2.jpg
I am having some staining problems too.

Seal after skim. it's down to the Dec to stain block and paint. You can apply bin then blue grit prior to skim but is that what you want to do, plus you can never be sure it's going to stain through. I normally prime plaster then stain block as I dec my jobs to. As a skimmer do you want responsibility for the staining and get called back if it grins through? Leave to someone else but point it out prior