sponge floats on multifinnish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most firms only order enough bg gear to 1 coat.....**** 2 coating mp.
life is so much easier sponging.
i only 2 coat float/set or re skims.
im always in work.
most site houses are shite.. smallish rooms...loads of windows.
My point of view propably dont matter anyhow !!!!!!!
(+ its winter).

im always in work.
(+ its winter).

are you saying site work has a rougher finish than normal ?

im always in work.
(+ its winter).

I would never get away leaving rough work in brand new houses.
if i 1 coated and sponged plot 55 and done plot 56 2 coating no one could tell the diffrence except for me who done it !!

Plastering on sites changed so much last 10 years lads have been forced into adapting to speed and time scales.
all manufactured tools out now to progress it on.
me personally ...i think the games gone shite mate.

Thing is spunky when it does goes wrong with a sponge it goes disastrously wrong, i have seen sponge work on site looking like a ploughed field, maybe there are a few lads who can leave a pukka job sponging multi, but I still haven't seen any.

I would like to see it done in person before I slag it off, if it works and turns out a good finish then where's the harm

That is what all veneer plaster calls for in US. United States Gypsum veneer plasters are different from British gypsum plasters as US plaster is more gypsum based where as British is Plaster of Paris. After you flatten down and the plaster has set you run a sponge or what we call a "mop" across all walls and ceilings in the finish stages. The felt fabric is attached a wooden handle. You dip it in water like you would a plaster brush and run it across the ceiling with one hand with your trowel hand following the "mop". It adds a good amount of after to the plaster surface making it easier to sweeten down everything very smoothe and compressed.

One of the sponge happy gangs on one of our other sites have just been pulled right up and shown the gate for shite work, the other gang on that site 2 coat, steel trowel. The sponge isn't always king.

There are many different ways to plaster a wall/ceiling,personally I don't knock any of them, its still the person doing it that's in control of there own finish . some good some not , its all about the finish and then gets stippled with paint, lol any plasterer worth his salt will finish a wall to a suitable finish but there again everyone standard is different never ending debate this one :RpS_thumbsup:

In the interest of fairness I have to say I have seen plenty of rough cun.ts who cant use a steel trowel either.

lol yes me too , I know of a 1 n 1 team plasterer couldn't bend his back skirting must have been a foot tall still didn't get sack because he was quick, beggars belief, I have seen lads working bottom up and some who do full upstairs then scrape back with loads of water :RpS_lol: . and speed is the only thing in common , nothing organised running round like headless chickens work was sh1t but carried on because of the amount they covered, gaffer said it was cheaper to put right than penalty's incurred for been behind schedule :mad:

I'm not making a point, I'm just showing that a good job can be done with the spong, if you know how.

Lots of work going on in the US and Boston, MA. A plasterer in the US tends to make between 30,000USD to 100,000USD depending on there situations. I would say a union plasterer would make on average between 50,000 to 70,000 plus benefits plus all the side work 42097.67quid max. A non union plasterer working for a contractor probably makes 40,000 to 60,000 with no benefits but has much more steady work and job secruity plus any side work 36083.71quid max. Self employed plasterers or sub contractors could make from 0.00quid to six figure digits if they can have that reputation and there company succeeds.
Is there much work going on in boston.

Hey buddy.
Do you know of kirk giordono????
Good friend of the forum:RpS_thumbup:

Do you know how big the United States is? I do not know him. I know of his videos I watch on youtube. Kirk Giordano is a Union trained plasterer turned Stucco business owner in California and mainly does exterior three coat stucco systems over timber framed homes. His videos are very descriptive and technical in the art of traditional stucco. He shows you from start to finish from paper, wire lathing, drip screeds, flashing, caulking, to scratch and brown applications to lahabra color coats. Out in the western part of the US you will find heavily that they apply traditional three coat stucco. Where I am they do apply it but not nearly as much as EIFS. Exterior Insulation Finishing System.

Sorry, should of said do you know of kirk:rolleyes)
yeah its a big place...but ive only been to new jersey...and boston:RpS_thumbup: good nights there...lol...

Days were crap tho...... shopping with the wife:RpS_blushing:

Never met kirk tho:RpS_thumbdn:

Last edited:
Sorry, should of said do you know of kirk:rolleyes)
yeah its a big place...but ive only been to new jersey...and boston:RpS_thumbup: good nights there...lol...

Days were crap tho...... shopping with the wife:RpS_blushing:

Never met kirk tho:RpS_thumbdn:

Did you enjoy your time here in Boston? Where is Gibrovia I have no idea?

The black rose...and the purple shamrock:RpS_thumbup:.....great nights......sadly closed now????:RpS_unsure:

Did you enjoy your time here in Boston? Where is Gibrovia I have no idea?
Gibrovia isn't a town , it's more of a large secure facility that houses some of the UKs most dangerous criminal minds. @Fatarm is our very own lex Luther :RpS_unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gibrovia.................1.39..................... .......:RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes me laugh the anti 1 coat crew they must think all 2 coating done by plasterers use a magic wand that makes it perfect
Never done 1 coat in my life and prob never will.unless it's a thick coat can't see how you can the perfect finish I get everytime

Status
Not open for further replies.