Speedskim do I don’t i

Looking into getting a speedskim I’m wanting to speed up finishing times. So are they really worth it? Also a few spread friends are talking about plastic trowels are they worth it just for polishing up? I’ve been out of the game a while just doing small domestic works for family n friends but works picking up. Still using old fashioned 14 n 22 mashaltown trowels

It's not the trowel you use, it's the 'graft' you put in.
I used to float/set 35 yards a day regularly with a 12" Tyzac.
These 'new' additions to the tool kit are simply to keep an ailing 'tools economy' from going under :-(

P.S. My profile shows me as a 'new member'. In fact, I've been here since the start, just don't call in too often these days :)

It's not the trowel you use, it's the 'graft' you put in.
I used to float/set 35 yards a day regularly with a 12" Tyzac.
These 'new' additions to the tool kit are simply to keep an ailing 'tools economy' from going under :-(

P.S. My profile shows me as a 'new member'. In fact, I've been here since the start, just don't call in too often these days :)
:) That should have read 350 yards .... 'Stubby-Finger-Syndrome' I'm afraid :)

So reading through this thread a lot of you seem to have good time for the speed skims. I only use a Refina spat for flattening the first and second coat
Realistically how much of a difference will a speed skim make to me. On a lot of site work here at the moment but do private new and refurbishment work as well.
We use some hard coat here with is basically your tough coat but usually sand and cement as our float coat.
So to sum it up what sort of price would the speed skims be and what sort of extra meters (if any) extra per day should I be expecting too gain.
On average our two in one gang is skimming 200 meters a day. Mixture of over board and sand and cement.
What would the 1 stop plastering man make of this :foto:

So reading through this thread a lot of you seem to have good time for the speed skims. I only use a Refina spat for flattening the first and second coat
Realistically how much of a difference will a speed skim make to me. On a lot of site work here at the moment but do private new and refurbishment work as well.
We use some hard coat here with is basically your tough coat but usually sand and cement as our float coat.
So to sum it up what sort of price would the speed skims be and what sort of extra meters (if any) extra per day should I be expecting too gain.
On average our two in one gang is skimming 200 meters a day. Mixture of over board and sand and cement.
What would the 1 stop plastering man make of this :foto:
No extra metres , it’s a marmite tool ,some love it others not , it saves you flattering the first coat is my opinion and that’s it ,others will use it for every stage , I think if you’re doing 200 m a day as you are , leave it alone

No extra metres , it’s a marmite tool ,some love it others not , it saves you flattering the first coat is my opinion and that’s it ,others will use it for every stage , I think if you’re doing 200 m a day as you are , leave it alone
Flattening

Cheers for that.
You know yourself some days could be 250 meters some could be 150 meters between us. The good with the bad hey.

Cheers for that.
You know yourself some days could be 250 meters some could be 150 meters between us. The good with the bad hey.
On A very organised job with the right men , the winter months slows you down, drying time can be 4 hrs on a hit

On A very organised job with the right men , the winter months slows you down, drying time can be 4 hrs on a hit
Two of us working as partners in the business so in both of our interest to get it done.
Sometimes this time of year can be harder to cover the meters with drying time, so either too big hits for the day or the next gauge.has to be first coated before the last is finished if things going slowly on a three gauge day.
Still given the choice in this time of year with right enough areas I would rather do two big hits

Two of us working as partners in the business so in both of our interest to get it done.
Sometimes this time of year can be harder to cover the meters with drying time, so either too big hits for the day or the next gauge.has to be first coated before the last is finished if things going slowly on a three gauge day.
Still given the choice in this time of year with right enough areas I would rather do two big hits
I hope you’re earning, it’s tough work

I'd say buy/borrow one and try it out John.

I'm still learning and try not to comment too much on 'how to do this and that', as I'm usually asking for advice...cap in hand, :D but bought one recently and think its a great bit of kit. I'm not a full time plasterer as yourself and you're obviously getting the results you need, so why bother?
I'm probably a bit more open to trying stuff out as I haven't had years of experience in the game and don't have the bench marks you do, so I've been experimenting with different trowels etc, and bought a 600 speed skim recently to try out when I had a big ceiling to do.
The thing for me that I loved straight away is the initial flatten. I'm on my crate laying on and kicking it across the floor, then I can just stick the SS on a pole and walk along the floor and get it pretty flat with little effort. Re-coat, same again and after a couple of passes its not a million miles away.
Anyway, don't want to teach you to suck eggs, just my experience of it...have a good weekend and you can all kick my ass now! :D

I'd say buy/borrow one and try it out John.

I'm still learning and try not to comment too much on 'how to do this and that', as I'm usually asking for advice...cap in hand, :D but bought one recently and think its a great bit of kit. I'm not a full time plasterer as yourself and you're obviously getting the results you need, so why bother?
I'm probably a bit more open to trying stuff out as I haven't had years of experience in the game and don't have the bench marks you do, so I've been experimenting with different trowels etc, and bought a 600 speed skim recently to try out when I had a big ceiling to do?
The thing for me that I loved straight away is the initial flatten. I'm on my crate laying on and kicking it across the floor, then I can just stick the SS on a pole and walk along the floor and get it pretty flat with little effort. Re-coat, same again and after a couple of passes its not a million miles away.
Anyway, don't want to teach you to suck eggs, just my experience of it...have a good weekend and you can all kick my ass now! :D
Forty now and at it since I was 17 or 18. Don't worry I will gladly be shown an easier way if it's out there. The bones are feeling it the last few years as I'm not as young as I once was :loco::baaa:.
As one old mentor of mine said once upon a time "tis a bad day you don't learn something new " how right he was.
Anyways feck this work talk on a Saturday evening any Milf pics :sorprendido3::bailando::frio::frio::sisi:

Forty now and at it since I was 17 or 18. Don't worry I will gladly be shown an easier way if it's out there. The bones are feeling it the last few years as I'm not as young as I once was :loco::baaa:.
As one old mentor of mine said once upon a time "tis a bad day you don't learn something new " how right he was.
Anyways feck this work talk on a Saturday evening any Milf pics :sorprendido3::bailando::frio::frio::sisi:

@Marshy :D

Jeez anyone reading this in the future that's not a plasterer will defo be thinking the were some bunch of weirdos :LOL:
Then again ain't most spreads a bit wrong like :sorprendido3:

Now now that would be telling :LOL:
Is he like this to all the new fellas :rico: so friendly like :numberone:

Thought we were golden mate...you, me, speed skim, john, if he was lucky. We had a good thing going...for awhile :(

'Chrispy walked away. He was confused and saddened. "Where is it I went wrong, he said?" "I tried, really tried, I'm just too manly for likes of TPF!" "I know, they're recruiting at the blacksmiths forum...bound to make a few good friends there!" ;)