Speedskim® The NEW SF is Here!

Hi Richard,

We are working on something bespoke for best storage but unfortunately it wont be available till spring 2017. Its pretty cool so watch this space early next year.

In the meantime...

Its important that Speedskim equipment is stored correctly.
The ranges (including spare blades) all come with robust PVC blade guards. These should be fitted back on the blade when not in use and when being stored. This in its self gives good support and protection.

@Speedskim do you sell the pvc Blade Guards separately, as some lovely person has relocated mine......little T***s.......

@Speedskim do you sell the pvc blade protectors separately as some lovely person has relocated mine.....little T***s......

Hi mate, we don't at the moment only because the shipping cost (due to length of parcel) out ways the cost of the blade guard its self.
All spare blade packs do come with a guard so for now best option might be to get a spare blade as a back up (which obviously come with the guard)
Useful note - all replacement blades come with spare end caps to refresh the whole unit ;-)

Cheers
Hi mate, we don't at the moment only because the shipping cost (due to length of parcel) out ways the cost of the blade guard its self.
All spare blade packs do come with a guard so for now best option might be to get a spare blade as a back up (which obviously come with the guard)
Useful note - all replacement blades come with spare end caps to refresh the whole unit ;-)[/QUOTE

Cheers for the reply

Has anyone used the refina versions as comparison who also owns a speedskim
I had a speedskim with a white blade some time ago, I didn't really get on with it and the blade warped and twisted. I've got a Refina spat which is ok but again despite being well looked after and kept in a case the blade has started to bend. Only problem is Refina don't do replaceable blades. If I invest again it will be on a speed skim or eze spat.

just ordered the 600 on the back of your reviews @theplasterman @thebearbeef . i have the normal 600 and 1200 which never gets used but I've always liked and use the 600 though. I'm expecting big things from this fellas.
Well I'll tell you straight, bang gear on pick up 600 st fatten ,then again (a bit softer) trying to get near enough to a finish (don't clean buckets or chat or anything else) maybe another quick firmer go over with st but not hard, just trying to get it nearly thee now (check edges are clean of any dry plaster on any opposites) now chill,chat or fag time... Pop back in with new SF flick over (keep blade clean with water on it...i.e a sponge)... Sometimes might need a tad of water on edge's of area being plastered (I.e internals or ceiling and skirting)
Good luck

And don't keep going over and over with it flat and matt is best... Absolutely pissed off with seeing over polished mirror shite photos of plaster on internet.

Well I'll tell you straight, bang gear on pick up 600 st fatten ,then again (a bit softer) trying to get near enough to a finish (don't clean buckets or chat or anything else) maybe another quick firmer go over with st but not hard, just trying to get it nearly thee now (check edges are clean of any dry plaster on any opposites) now chill,chat or fag time... Pop back in with new SF flick over (keep blade clean with water on it...i.e a sponge)... Sometimes might need a tad of water on edge's of area being plastered (I.e internals or ceiling and skirting)
Good luck
Spot on there mate or Eddie whatever your name is I also ordered the new sf (super fast delievery as well ) i tend to raise the angle on speedskim as well at the end gets any fat off super flat then

Spot on there mate or Eddie whatever your name is I also ordered the new sf (super fast delievery as well ) i tend to raise the angle on speedskim as well at the end gets any fat off super flat then
Thanks bro..

Just to answer the dude asking new SF against Refina.. Me and my cousin did just this.. All the gear was put on a 40m2 L shaped new plasterboard ceiling at same time I took Speedskim st to my half and he took the Refina metal to his, the new Speedskim SF i brought out at the end of my set as above, my cousin carried on with the Refina to the end of his.. My half was finished 35 minutes before his.
I'm definitely not slating the Refina trowel (my cousin gets good finish) but for me personally i prefer plastic first and a metal only at the late stage of finish.. Imo the early use of metal flex anything does delay time set so isn't system of finishing plaster I like or use.

I had a speedskim with a white blade some time ago, I didn't really get on with it and the blade warped and twisted. I've got a Refina spat which is ok but again despite being well looked after and kept in a case the blade has started to bend. Only problem is Refina don't do replaceable blades. If I invest again it will be on a speed skim or eze spat.

Hi mate, to answer the direct questions about our stuff. The early grey/white blade were originally fixed. We decided to introduce replacement blade version but still had issues in some cases with warping. This was due to silt ingress which we solved by introducing co-ex rubber seal. This patented feature allows the blade to expand and contract during ranging temperatures which means the blade is stable and stays straight.
This modification was introduced back in January 2015 and was a great step forward for the product. Since its introduction changing of blades couldn't be easier - pop the end cap off, replace blade all done in less than a minute - you're back up and running.
All Speedskim blade ranges come with integral co-ex seals, blade guards and spare end caps. ;-)

FairPlay @thebearbeef ,
Sounds like you're a convert. I find them brill for the flatten but still use a trowel a bit. Anything that gets a good finish without the constant wrist and shoulder workout has got to be good. Got a ceiling reskim on Monday, going to do it all with my speedy's
Righto fellas,
Said I was gonna do a ceiling reskim today, and only use speedys on it.......
After a pva session, mixed up a bucket and trowelled first coat on using my steps.
Swilled the bucket out, not too clean, gave the ceiling a run over with a blue speedy on a pole.....the room was as hot as hell, so the work began to pick up smartish. Needed to put a bit of pressure on the speedy to get it nice, and noticed that the pole attachment kept coming off the poles thread ? Wtf.
Still, got it looking nice.....had a brew.
Set about another coat......usually, my rule of thumb is whatever goes on first takes half as much to cover (1x bucket takes another half to lay in)..... however, it was so flattened I only used just over a quarter of a bucket to lay in.
Had another brew....washed up.
Got on the work again with the blue one, gently this time, running from both directions in the room ....had to get out a trowel to tidy the edges, but all else looked good......another brew and pva on two of the worst walls as prep.
Got out the stainless speedy and after spraying a mist of water on the ceiling, got on it, two passes, at 90 deg to one another, job done.
Popped on two of the worst walls, gave the 1st coat a blue one, mixed another gauge (less this time) and bashed on a tight 2nd coat again flattened with the blue one, and because the walls were a bit rough, gave them another bit of pink, this almost 3rd coat went on and in just about perfectly....could almost have left them....
Another brew and a wash out......
Two passes with the blue one and was almost done. Was ready to have to do something to the ceiling, but it didn't need it.
Could have put on another gauge at this time, but have to go back tomorrow anyway, so wasn't worth it.
So, summary....
Less effort, did a good job when the stuff was going off, used less gear, had the thing right under control and could have done a bit more.
All in all well pleased.
As @plasterman says , the plastic is the dogs, the stainless needs a bit of running in imo, two goes of the first, one of the second and home early.
And I did two coat work.
Smug.

Righto fellas,
After a pva session, mixed up a bucket and trowelled first coat on using my steps.
Swilled the bucket out, not too clean, gave the ceiling a run over with a blue speedy on a pole.....the room was as hot as hell, so the work began to pick up smartish. Needed to put a bit of pressure on the speedy to get it nice, and noticed that the pole attachment kept coming off the poles thread ? Wtf.
Set about another coat......usually, my rule of thumb is whatever goes on first takes half as much to cover (1x bucket takes another half to lay in)..... however, it was so flattened I only used just over a quarter of a bucket to lay in.
Got on the work again with the blue one, gently this time, running from both directions in the room ....had to get out a trowel to tidy the edges, but all else looked good......another brew and pva on two of the worst walls as prep.
Got out the stainless speedy and after spraying a mist of water on the ceiling, got on it, two passes, at 90 deg to one another, job done.
Popped on two of the worst walls, gave the 1st coat a blue one, mixed another gauge (less this time) and bashed on a tight 2nd coat again flattened with the blue one, and because the walls were a bit rough, gave them another bit of pink, this almost 3rd coat went on and in just about perfectly....could almost have left them....
Two passes with the blue one and was almost done. Was ready to have to do something to the ceiling, but it didn't need it.
Could have put on another gauge at this time, but have to go back tomorrow anyway, so wasn't worth it.
So, summary....
Less effort, did a good job when the stuff was going off, used less gear, had the thing right under control and could have done a bit more.
All in all well pleased.
As @plasterman says , the plastic is the dogs, the stainless needs a bit of running in imo, two goes of the first, one of the second and home early.
And I did two coat work.
Smug.
Nice review mate...sounds like you had a good day(y)

Good luck
If push came to shove which speed skim would you use if you only were to use one? I'm not keen enough to buy two and use them together. I imagine steel is better on mono and blue plastic better on skimming?

Righto fellas,
So, summary....
All in all well pleased.
And I did two coat work.
Smug.

Sounds like the Speedskim System is working for you mate! - Great news..
With regard to the Pole Attachment we have designed it to be compatible with as many threaded extension poles as possible. Hamilton, Purdy, Dulux Decorator poles etc. The only one we have ever had any issues with is a PRO Dec pole.
We will be introducing some changes to the Attachment in 2017, which among other things will include a rubber washer to take up the slack on any slightly problematic/non standard threads.
Regarding the New SF, sounds like you enjoyed using it!
For us the difference is the design gives flexibility across the width of the blade but crucially also along the entire length of the blade - lets you stay in control and is forgiving on different substrates.
We do as much as is possible in manufacture to make it usable straight out of the box, but a few days wear will always enhance the performance :)

I use one of the first batches of the eze spat, blade is like a razor. I'd be interested in trying one of these though do they come in 800?

If push came to shove which speed skim would you use if you only were to use one? I'm not keen enough to buy two and use them together. I imagine steel is better on mono and blue plastic better on skimming?
St can take it to near enough finished but been using the new SF for a couple of months and won't be without it now.
They both are the trowel off system.

Just get both mate

St can take it to near enough finished but been using the new SF for a couple of months and won't be without it now.
They both are the trowel off system.

Just get both mate
I'm itching to buy some new tools as wello_O just fighting the urge at the moment

I'm itching to buy some new tools as wello_O just fighting the urge at the moment
Jump in mate.....early bath all round!!
Btw I had to make good a wall today, with a skim of bonding.....the stainless speedy flattened it in really, really nice, ready to skim tomorrow..

Jump in mate.....early bath all round!!
Btw I had to make good a wall today, with a skim of bonding.....the stainless speedy flattened it in really, really nice, ready to skim tomorrow..
Steel probably better on mono renders aswell

Vince have u got the spat? How does this compare to the spat? Cudnt get on with the spat got rid of it last week..i didnt like the pink sf speedskim thought it was shite how does it compare? Suppose I could buy the new blades and take the pink sf blade out? Cant be arsed reading all way thru thread so thought id ask you as ur on pay roll..

Vince have u got the spat? How does this compare to the spat? Cudnt get on with the spat got rid of it last week..i didnt like the pink sf speedskim thought it was shite how does it compare? Suppose I could buy the new blades and take the pink sf blade out? Cant be arsed reading all way thru thread so thought id ask you as ur on pay roll..
Lol it's all been said in thread you lazy git.. The new SF blows the old one out the water basically kitchy.. It's 0.3mm , if you got the new blade you can finish with it completely.. There is a few videos flying about to show using it hopefully end of this week they'll be up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol it's all been said in thread you lazy git.. The new SF blows the old one out the water basically kitchy.. It's 0.03mm , if you got the new blade you can finish with it completely.. There is a few videos flying about to show using it hopefully end of this week they'll be up.
Tbh Vince I don't need to watch a vid of a 2 bit Larry who id wipe the floor with at plastering..:)
More after advice on the product..will the blade fit into my pink sf?

Tbh Vince I don't need to watch a vid of a 2 bit Larry who id wipe the floor with at plastering..:)
More after advice on the product..will the blade fit into my pink sf?
Lol it's a 15 bag hit ... But anyways yes you could put in other casing but I'd say don't be such a tight arse and treat yourself to the whole new casing and blade... Question for you though... 600 or 1.2 ?

Big balls

I got the orange blade last week & im very disappointed, I have the 1200. I'm thinking of getting the blue blade but will it be worth it?

I got the orange blade last week & im very disappointed, I have the 1200. I'm thinking of getting the blue blade but will it be worth it?
Blue blade is good pal that orange 1 was biggest bolloxs ive ever spent money on that's wat stopping me purchasing this new design..eze spat was shite aswell swapped it last week for a dab radio so got s gud deal well that and a straight edge

Jesus I tried using it on so many sections of the skim & all it done was drag the shite out of it. So you recommend the blue blade? I use the plasiflex ( Refina) for flattening & 3rd throwel & I think it's the best thing I have. Finish with the Nela s*p*r*lex 2.

Jesus I tried using it on so many sections of the skim & all it done was drag the shite out of it. So you recommend the blue blade? I use the plasiflex ( Refina) for flattening & 3rd throwel & I think it's the best thing I have. Finish with the Nela s*p*r*lex 2.
Not a fan of them plaziflexs..yes get the blue blade to flatten with..wudnt be without it now

Give it a few weeks I suspect there might be people asking why they are getting stripes and ripples off this new blade, these flexible metal gadgets all have a tendency to do that.

Blue blade is good pal that orange 1 was biggest bolloxs ive ever spent money on that's wat stopping me purchasing this new design..eze spat was shite aswell swapped it last week for a dab radio so got s gud deal well that and a straight edge

Hi Kitchy
The orange blade was a bit like Marmite for sure. Some feedback was great but some just didn't take to it. So we got stuck in and looked at making design changes.
The New SF is radically different and has a wide 55mm x 0.3mm tip.
@theplasterman wasn't a fan of the old SF but (I think I'm right in saying) feels the New SF is something to shout about...
I think @Danny is going to put a video up soon?