Soft plaster

Nate111284

hi, I plastered my ceilings straight on to plasterboard, it's the first time I have every plastered.
My problem is that the plastering started off well but because I'm new to this and abit slow the plaster kept going off in the bucket so I kept adding water to make it workable the problem is when I got nearer the end of the room on the second coat i think it was too watery because it's started to flake in parts after a week of doing it. Do I just need to give it longer time than normal to dry? Or is there a way I can put something on top to harden it up like uni bond?

hi, I plastered my ceilings straight on to plasterboard, it's the first time I have every plastered.
My problem is that the plastering started off well but because I'm new to this and abit slow the plaster kept going off in the bucket so I kept adding water to make it workable the problem is when I got nearer the end of the room on the second coat i think it was too watery because it's started to flake in parts after a week of doing it. Do I just need to give it longer time than normal to dry? Or is there a way I can put something on top to harden it up like uni bond?
Sounds like you messed it up, watered the mix down too much so its got no strength....wouldnt be advisable to skim over it as the old coat might give with the extra weight...get a plasterer in to overboard and skim it.

Can you put up some pictures please. So we can help you. It's so much easier for us to help when we see pictures.

Thanks theclemo the forum advisor.

IMG_1257.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG

Please tell us that you mean after week had passed!! Not after a week of doing it!!:sorprendido3: All the other trades you can have a go at i.e. Stop and go back to ,or take your time . You have now realized this is not on that list get someone in and make your money elsewhere to pay them to do the job they know and understand . Amen.

The worse pictures are from the 1st bedroom I did. I scraped off all the loose plaster. I plastered the ceilings last weekend so it's been a week since they have been done, could I just replaster where I have taken off the loose plaster. I have brought this house with my family and I am a carpenter/joiner by trade but I like to try and do most things myself as I'm a hands on person and enjoy learning new things. Any advice is welcome as I don't pretend to know everything

Could you please never mind the guys taking the piss. They forgot that they to had a first time using plater. I will be able to talk u though where you went worng when I see the pictures.

Thanks theclemo the forum advisor

The worse pictures are from the 1st bedroom I did. I scraped off all the loose plaster. I plastered the ceilings last weekend so it's been a week since they have been done, could I just replaster where I have taken off the loose plaster. I have brought this house with my family and I am a carpenter/joiner by trade but I like to try and do most things myself as I'm a hands on person and enjoy learning new things. Any advice is welcome as I don't pretend to know everything
I would pva the ceiling and re plasterer the ceiling again. It's going to be a wee bit harder to skim over the skim then the plasterboard. U will be better off getting a plasterer in tho has when u paint it. It will look even worse tbh.

Overboard and skim,....or
Pva the lot, bond out the bits that have come off, get the edges flat, pva again and skim. Do not keep adding water to your mix......or
Offer to fit a kitchen for a plasterer if he'll come and do a bit of skimming for you.....

I would pva the ceiling and re plasterer the ceiling again. It's going to be a wee bit harder to skim over the skim then the plasterboard. U will be better off getting a plasterer in tho has when u paint it. It will look even worse tbh.

Cheers that's what I thought would be best to bond it over the good parts once all the loose bits are off. Thanks for your advice, I'll give it one more go if not I'll get a plasterer in, I only did it because fancied giving it ago and all the plasterers I know are busy until Xmas and wanna get my little boys bedroom done for Xmas