Small plasterboard ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

killidr

Hi
I have a small galley kitchen from which we recently removed the old lath and plaster ceiling. As the kitchen is very cold (a single story with flat ceiling under a pitched roof) I want to take the opportunity to use insulated plasterboard when replacing the ceiling. I also intend to add Kingspan or similar insulation between the joists.

My question is, as the kitchen is very narrow (less than the a length of plasterboard) with the ceiling joists running across, is it OK to run the long length of the plasterbord in line with the joists. Also what are your recomendations re noggins?

Thanks

plasterboard across the joists. the bound edge of the board gives it strength.
put the insulation in the loft. laying it in both directions . standard insulation will be easier to lay then kingspan.
i would use plenty of insulation and duplex plasterboard, not the insulated plasterboard.
as regards noggins 4 x 2 cls at 1200 centers

Hi Malc thanks for your reply.

If I run the plasterboard across the joists I will have to deal with cut end joints as a single length of the plasterboard will not cover the length of the kitchen. However a plasterboard length will span the width of the kitchen as the kitchen is very narrow. Do I still need to run the plasterboard across the joists ie. at right angles?

Thanks
killid

Hi Malc thanks for your reply.

If I run the plasterboard across the joists I will have to deal with cut end joints as a single length of the plasterboard will not cover the length of the kitchen. However a plasterboard length will span the width of the kitchen as the kitchen is very narrow. Do I still need to run the plasterboard across the joists ie. at right angles?

Thanks
killid
Less chances of cracking if you go across the joists, some do of course as they know no better.

if the plasterboard width is the width of your kitchen you could do it as you say but put noggins fixed to the joists where the boards meet. If you are planning on taping it and not skimming it it would be better to go accross the joints and use tapered edge boards.

Hi Flynnyman

You say 'If you are planning on taping it and not skimming it it would be better to go accross the joints and use tapered edge boards.'
Do you mean joists? Sorry for all the questions but I want to get things correct.

Thanks
David

as you are concerned about the heat loss in your kitchen i would double board the ceiling.
we where working on a school and they double boarded the ceilings and walls. i asked the architect the reason and he said it helps to keep the heat in the building.
we have double boarded out houses recently and the customers comment how warm they are.

Also add a vapour barrier if not using foil backed boards or kingspan that's not taped on the joints to seal

Status
Not open for further replies.