Skimming Artex vs removing or boarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordysmith

Hi everyone,

Am new to the forum so firstly hello..!
Can I firstly add that I am not a pro but merely a DIYr.. Did go on a course mind you and have been at this for a few years.. Only ever done my own houses mind you as am no pro!
In the past when encountering old artex I have always just taken time and skimmed over first to fill the peaks and troughs and then bonded again once dry and skimmed to smooth finish. I have an old hallway to do now and the artex is proper thick and wavy. Don't want to pay for expensive artex removal as am sure it is pre 80's.. Is it safe to knock of the prominent heads and then fill gaps or better to just board? The other issue is that the artex that is on at present does seem pretty knackered..

Cheers.

Never disturb any material that may be containing asbestos, pva it twice over a couple of hours, put on a coat of bonding or a mix of finish with bonding,then skim over this when it pulls in, it will add weight so make sure the ceiling can hold it,

Is it safe to knock of the prominent heads and then fill gaps or better to just board? The other issue is that the artex that is on at present does seem pretty knackered..

Cheers.

Like has been said you have to consider that most artex in old houses for instance have a good chance of containing asbestos.To me any asbestos in artex is encapsulated within, so unless you are sanding or drilling into it you are safe enough although nothing is 100% in regards to that.

Its something you have to judge by yourself, but i think you should consider not scraping anything if you can help it.

Take the extra time to fill in the gaps, and give yourself peace of mind.

I think this asbestos thing is a load of bollox, yeh people have died of the symptoms, A mate of mine a few years ago an old joiner had the symptoms but i dont know anyone who has died of it, ive been working in the game 25 years with plenty of old boys who never stopped. Ive scrapped 1000's of artex ceilings and im fine yeh i might get the symptoms when im old if im really unlucky but i think its a con. There was a link posted up on here a while back about it being a great money spinner for the government also a career in itself even an industry (asbestos removal). Come on Nisus youve got everything saved on your PC wheres the link :)

I think this asbestos thing is a load of bollox, yeh people have died of the symptoms, A mate of mine a few years ago an old joiner had the symptoms but i dont know anyone who has died of it, ive been working in the game 25 years with plenty of old boys who never stopped. Ive scrapped 1000's of artex ceilings and im fine yeh i might get the symptoms when im old if im really unlucky but i think its a con. There was a link posted up on here a while back about it being a great money spinner for the government also a career in itself even an industry (asbestos removal). Come on Nisus youve got everything saved on your PC wheres the link :)

I think there is a danger, but not so much with atrex.Care needs to be taken where its found as lagging on pipe work.Disturbing it this way can release a shite load of fibers into the air,

View attachment 2019

I hear you when you say that people are making a lot of money out of removing artex for example that may or may not contain absestos .Or if left alone it is quite safe.

I personally dont like to take the chance.

We probably all do ignore it to get the job done. I always knock the heads off a stipple ceiling with a floor scraper or trowel. Time will tell, no symptoms so far as i never wear a mask :0

I think there is a danger, but not so much with atrex.Care needs to be taken where its found as lagging on pipe work.Disturbing it this way can release a shite load of fibers into the air,

View attachment 2019

I hear you when you say that people are making a lot of money out of removing artex for example that may or may not contain absestos .Or if left alone it is quite safe.

I personally dont like to take the chance.

I agree in certain areas its best left to the profesionals but in artex i think its a load of bollox

Welcome along mate - have fun on the forum!

Artex IS a killer - I used to work with a company specifying and selling Abestos removal and encapsulation materials..... The loose stuff (as shown in the photo above) is the worst....

TBH, there is not much in any Artex (the coating is usually thin anyway).... but if you drill it, or scrape if off the fibers go airbourne and if then breathed in it will just stay in your lungs and potentially cause cancer over time...

It is better to be safe than sorry..... But as with a lot of H&S - "YOU" are responsible for your own safety....

So even tho the o.p states the artex is pretty knackerd !
Pva. and 2 thick coats an the jobs a goodun ???:RpS_scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.