Skim painted ceiling

ElwoodP

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a property. Ceilings show quite a few cracks mainly between plasterboard. Photo 1 shows I think that someone has attempted to fill the cracks with some type of flexible filler, I think there has then been movement and it is squidged out? Question is does it look like this can be fixed without taking ceilings down and starting again? Can you tape up cracks and skim over painted ceilings?

ceiling1.jpg

ceiling2.jpg

Ive pva'd ceilings scrimmed cracks and skimmed and cracks never came back through .....but a better job would be to over or re- board and skim.

At first glance ,I'd use Uni-Finish scrim and skim away,imo alot better plaster to use (similar formula to carlite,I heard) and dry's quicker with added advantage of polymer which binds cracks and substrates better together but on closer inspection those cracks do look worse than a possible scrim n skim infact to me look's possible best solution would be rip down and re board (I ain't a fan of over board anymore) tape and skim with board finish.
Hope it goes ok mate.

At first glance ,I'd use Uni-Finish scrim and skim away,imo alot better plaster to use (similar formula to carlite,I heard) and dry's quicker with added advantage of polymer which binds cracks and substrates better together but on closer inspection those cracks do look worse than a possible scrim n skim infact to me look's possible best solution would be rip down and re board (I ain't a fan of over board anymore) tape and skim with board finish.
Hope it goes ok mate.

Super vince ......... ...........stop talking to strangers and get back to work !!!

you can tape them up and skim them... firings some more screws along the cracks would help as well.. but I may look at overboarding :D

Would be interested to see how rest of forum comment tbh, I only said what I see on closer inspection of the diagonal crack to me that either delamination of the plaster over existing surface with probably has no adequate bond or created by structure movement which is why I wouldn't over board on this occasion, obviously without being there I couldn't assess this properly ..
Look forward to others opinions
Keep me gob shut now
Thanks
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_ceiling2.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll treat it as if it needs to be taken down and start again for the purposes of making an offer and then get a professional in to assess options if I end up buying. Anyone in the York area?

Last edited:
If I was pricing I would say to customer, safest option to overboard and skim. If that wasn't an option, essential to re-screw joists , scrim and skim. If you get a hairline then use polycell crack free ceilings paint. I would however tap the diagonal crack as it may have blown ( knock off loose plaster) it's a stress point off of the upright, but as there's no board join causing this crack it would concern me.

f**k me lads talk about making it technical. Just take down the old ceiling put up plasterboard and skim. Not rocket science pay cheap pay twice
How come they agree when you say it but when I say anything on here it's like I'm THICK or something, by the way how do we put screws into thin air?

f**k me lads talk about making it technical. Just take down the old ceiling put up plasterboard and skim. Not rocket science pay cheap pay twice
Lets be honest though, you'd tell them to feck off and then head down the pub.

I alway say overboard if there is cracks, always warn cracks could re appear 95% go with the overboard....subsidence in my area so my board lifter gets a workout most weeks

Always overboard and skim where cracks appear.
Feck taking the ceiling down. I never ever ever do that. As long as you're screwing into the joists then your new boards helping to hold everything up.
Unless of course it's already been done twice over...:raro2:

Take the ceiling down. Over boarding is a c**t. U can't tell if your plasterboard end is half way on the timber. Plus might be pipes and cables where there not supposed to be.

Keith rocks

Take the ceiling down. Over boarding is a c**t. U can't tell if your plasterboard end is half way on the timber. Plus might be pipes and cables where there not supposed to be.

Keith rocks
taking them down is a good way to feck your lungs (although the fags will probably do for that)...where my board is going to meet I knock a hole where a screw isnt going to go to check the distance

taking them down is a good way to feck your lungs (although the fags will probably do for that)...where my board is going to meet I knock a hole where a screw isnt going to go to check the distance
I don't take them down. I got the client to do it. Or I'll price to do it and get a bloke i know that's on the dole f**k him a few pound and let him at it. If the dust kills him that's one more off the dole. Am doing my part.

Lath 'n' Plaster = overboard
Plasterboard = scrim & Betokontakt

Them is the rules I go by ... unless that lath ceiling has fancy coving .. in which case I adopt my double open handed stance and "don't call me if it cracks" defence.

Could batten out, screwing to the joist and then boarding and skimm. If you worry about bonding the boards properly.