Renovating 100YO house with lime.

Members online

Emmet BARRY

Hello all,

Joined as I am currently renovating a house. Most of the work will be plastering.

I'm using lime for the whole project and it is going well so far. I am trying to be considerate of the building and be gentle in my improvements. I am staying away from any method with 'proofing' in it. Just keeping moisture away and using traditional and simple methods to avoid any damage to the fabric.

Lime is a beauty to work with but needs to be treated right. It is like owning a newborn gremlin. Midnight waterings, must be mixed with the exact amount of water, can't be over worked etc.

The forum is great and I will keep you updated on Any new methods I come up with. Take a look at the perlite/lime thread for a method to insulate lime plaster without affecting the properties of the lime. Any tips and help will be accepted and I will of course be helping out if I can.

Hi Emmet

How is your renovation going? I'd like to do the same and am looking for advice on using lime plaster. Would love to know how you're getting on - thanks!

Well the joys of owning an old house.

Ok so things move slowly in Ireland. Getting things done by outside contractors is difficult to say the least. Time really is a concept here.

Hi Halina,
It is going well in a way. My goal is to get the house done so that it won't need to be touched again in my lifetime, save storms etc.

I have now decided to remove the outside render and reinstate the brickwork and just have inside insulation. A friend of mine who restores brickwork (and was just going to do the back brickwork) told me that the front is red brick with limestone features under the cement render. I decided to remove the render anyway and put back on lime render. As the brickwork and limestone is so beautiful (there is a similar house up the road exposed) I have decided to expose. E50,000...... Wow and that is mates rates. But he does some amazing work. And the damage on the outside is leaking a lot of water into the outside walls. So that is going to be the next thing I do. There is no point doing the inside walls when there is water coming in from outside.

He was however well impressed with my plastering so it gives the amateurs hope. And now that the perlite plaster is up and set you can feel how warm the room is. And that is before the new windows are even in.

Helina, What would you like to know.