Render over face brick

Members online

Cornelius

IMG_1914.JPG
ive got a job to do, sand and cement rendering over face brick. Now in the past I've always put sbr over bricks before scratch coat, tried and tested method. Reading through past threads some guys just give the wall a good drink of water and there away. Attached is picture of bricks, I'd like to see, if any, what pre treatment would you choose before scratch coat?

Definitely sbr or sbr and cement slurry old London bricks just suck up the water and the render won't key properly

View attachment 16620 ive got a job to do, sand and cement rendering over face brick. Now in the past I've always put sbr over bricks before scratch coat, tried and tested method. Reading through past threads some guys just give the wall a good drink of water and there away. Attached is picture of bricks, I'd like to see, if any, what pre treatment would you choose before scratch coat?
A good sbr skat coat with 3 sand 1 cement and away u go

They don't need any pre-treatment as they are pourous and not smooth like engineering brick. Won't do any harm to sbr though.

Wet it,
Slurry it, scratch it, float it, rub it, finish it.
(Years ago that'd be the recipe for a Friday night).....

4 or 5 courses down they have been repointed at some time - find out what that was.
Wet down the bricks then scud them.

View attachment 16620 ive got a job to do, sand and cement rendering over face brick. Now in the past I've always put sbr over bricks before scratch coat, tried and tested method. Reading through past threads some guys just give the wall a good drink of water and there away. Attached is picture of bricks, I'd like to see, if any, what pre treatment would you choose before scratch coat?
I would scud it.

Dampen bricks and first coat with waterproofed sand and cement and top with sand cement and lime? Unless your using modern renders why all the fuss?