Render coming away from block work...

Members online

RLPD

A work colleague rendered a wall about ten years ago in someone's back garden.

Recently been called back to plaster some walls internally and he asked us for take a look at the rendering from years ago...

The wall is bout 1200mm high and about 6/7 meters long. There is soil about 2/3 feet of soil behind it.

The render has shelled off the height of the wall at about 1.5/2 meters increments. And the render is still solid, just not cohering to the wall...

I assumed this would be because moisture is getting into the soil and through the block work thus affecting cohesion between the block work and render?

We have thought about fixing EML to the wall but was wondering whether threre is some sort of waterproof barrier to which we could use or would the EML be enough in its own?

so this is a standard garden wall not house wall?

if it is then i think 10 years is a good life span. considering no dpc and assume this has been rendered to ground level.
moisture is free to travel the wall on these walls so hard to protect against delamination.

but if this is a house wall then the above is bollox lol

[emoji23] no it's a standard garden wall...

Your right 10 years is a good lifespan, I agree, but not everyone sees it that way...especially the people that pay you to do it haha!!

So any suggestions?/ is EML'ing a good idea? With SBR as bonding agent?

Trying to prevent this happening in another 10 years haha...will be happy with 15 though....[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji23] no it's a standard garden wall...

Your right 10 years is a good lifespan, I agree, but not everyone sees it that way...especially the people that pay you to do it haha!!

So any suggestions?/ is EML'ing a good idea? With SBR as bonding agent?

Trying to prevent this happening in another 10 years haha...will be happy with 15 though....[emoji41]

all time theres a surface that can doak moisture. i.e soil your not gunna win

The water has soaked through and probably froze and blown the render, you need to dig the mud back and fix a DPM then redo the render leaving it off the ground. If it was my job I certainly wouldn't be putting it right for free, I would bet my life they got you round to do the walls to get this redone, they not had any plastering in 10 years? Taking the piss mate if they expect it redone for free.

Not being done for free [emoji1303] thanks for the back up though [emoji41]

Thanks for suggestions lads, will price up and run by him [emoji482]