Re skim with lime finishing plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirralplasterer

Hi there,

Looking for advice, have been asked to take on a large project - 1500m2 re skim 18century property, (client wants flat walks)haven't done anything this big in lime before, (like a ceiling!)don't know wether I've bitten off more than can chew?!

Needs quite a bit of prep first to get the walls suitable for another coat, but was wondering wether id be able to bring them back to life again and float em up with just water??? Have quoted in the fact that if the substrate isn't workable possibly over 50% will need going back to lath then working up in three coat, but obviously if I don't have to , can it just be finished with a nhlp finishing plaster??

Or should I swallow my pride and cancel the job.

Bonding agent

Bond/skim mix first coat ruled flat with speedskim

2nd coat skim flattened with speed skim

Trowel up

Who said its gotta be done in lime???

when the client gets the quote for lime you should be able to flob him off with thistle universal!

Bonding agent

Bond/skim mix first coat ruled flat with speedskim

2nd coat skim flattened with speed skim

Trowel up

Who said its gotta be done in lime???
Our initial thought was to throw two coats at it, but the property in its entirety it grade 2,which limits us to the trad methods.. I'm waiting to hear back from the council (conservation/design-and the building regs duty officer)as we may have to apply for listed building consent ..

All ways better to start from scratch really ie three coat work. You will have all sort of problems with that one .Its not that easy to just skim over as people think

Hope he's just won the lottery, and he's got Time on his hands - he wanted it done in 2 months- put initial quote in for only two coat work , thatll mean doubling my quote..
Ice ever done a job this big, a bit concerned that I'm gonna need half the money upfront - or at least in instalments to pay labour, and the hefty material bill

has the face/finish come off? if so has the ruled coat got a good key left on it?

It's yet to be stripped back from wall paper .. Some areas are also painted, I've told the client that I can't accurately quote until we are back to plaster and can gauge what needs doing - plus unsure as to wether I'll need listed building consent from the appropriate local council if I'm taking the substrate back to lath..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 549
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 530
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 528
Status
Not open for further replies.