Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart23

Private Member
can someone tell me why after mesh is put into base coat it's not scratched ready for top coat? Never done it before but had a look at a load of house getting done round my way and that's how they've done them. Finish is dry dash.

can someone tell me why after mesh is put into base coat it's not scratched ready for top coat? Never done it before but had a look at a load of house getting done round my way and that's how they've done them. Finish is dry dash.

They are doing it wrong then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christ ....dashing straight onto mesh ??
Missing the scratch coat is too much of a short cut !!!!!

It could be the Webber dash system where you base coat mesh and top coat for dash all with the same stuff that way the mesh is still in the top third of the system it's also all done the same day to cut down the time but if it's not that system then it does sound a bit ruff I know guys who do leave mesh exposed as apparently it leaves a better key but I ain't convince in all honesty

Leaving the mesh on top for a key is totally dependant on the size of mesh and the size of aggregate in the top coat.
Not for me personally as if the mesh isn't 'loose' the top coat will be moving slightly, and if 'solid' the top can't penetrate it.
Bollox is that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mesh is complete covered but you can feel it when you run your hands across it. Three different sites around my way all done the same way, thought I was missing a trick somewhere.

The mesh is complete covered but you can feel it when you run your hands across it. Three different sites around my way all done the same way, thought I was missing a trick somewhere.
The mesh should be covered mate if there's no key whatsoever and it's being dashed its asking for trouble these sites must be getting done by "bengal dancers" lol that was off another post and liked it so thought I'd use it [emoji106]

Golden rule- mesh should be 1/3 of the surface! Pebble dash with second dashing coat or wet dash are after that.

That's because they haven't used notched trowel or spat and can't control the depth or done quick and without care.

is this on an ewi system?

Yes mate, lots of sites round my way

we do not scratch the base coat on permaroc, dryvit or mr ewi systems.
just apply the dash butter coat leave the butter coat as long as poss. then dash the butter coat does not slump.

Last edited:
we do not scratch the base coat on permaroc, dryvit or mr ewi systems.
just apply the dash butter coat leave the butter coat as long as poss. then dash the butter coat does not slump.
Is that the spec I take it? With the amount of sites round here doing it that way they couldn't all be cutting corners that's why I was confused

Is that the spec I take it? With the amount of sites round here doing it that way they couldn't all be cutting corners that's why I was confused

we were trained by permaroc and mr to fit their ewi systems.
apply the base coat lay on the scrim, scrape back any base coat that goes through the mesh. no scratch, second fixings, leave to cure, then dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.