Price of marble plaster.

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Private Member
I have have done a small and I mean small amount of marble plastering. I had some sample pots sent from telling limes. I think it is over priced and so the market for the gear is very small . Just why is so expensive to buy??

I agree that the price has contributed to the small market for these finishes.
I dont think the material is particuarly expensive. But its not as simple as buying a bag of skim.
There are a lot of different finishes to choose from, most require a specific primer, waxes and colour also adds to the cost.
The application tools and techniques are totally different to gypsum plaster and people have invested a lot in training etc.
The application takes several visits allowing time for each layer to carbonate overnight, correct preperation is crucial and this all takes time.
Used correctly the material goes a long way, it can be stored in sealed containers forever.

productss are expensive because of qualities good lime and marble without arcylics are good fine products,good pricess for quality durable finsihess

i can get 25kg of marble dust for £10.00 and 25kg of lime putty for £10.00 if i mix my own plus £8.00 delivery let me know if you want any and i will pass my contact on to you...

i can get 25kg of marble dust for £10.00 and 25kg of lime putty for £10.00 if i mix my own plus £8.00 delivery let me know if you want any and i will pass my contact on to you...

Tell me more

Is it easy to mix up, What proportions do you use, do you have to consider the colour of the marble when deciding the colours?

Ask twicther he knows everything, when he can't answer some of us will tell you. Go on twatcher give it a go mate let's have a laugh. I will give you a clue. Marble lime and some other stuff, but to get it right it has to be precise. 10 marks for bang on 1 mark for anything less.lol

never done any marble plastering heard ov prices like £60.00 meter:-0 would consider marble plastering but its hard enought gettin joe public 2 pay 4 normal plastering :huh:

is that all, are there resins or anything else to be added. I new we were being ripped off. Where do you get your marble dust from. Marble powders seems to have stopped trading.What is the grain size? I'm doing a lot for myself so want to keep price down. Liked your silver wax video. Shall copy that idea.

Am a wizard at making the speacial marble 'primer' my supplier once forgot to send me some with my order and i was on a site with penalty clauses if the work wasnt complete in time for a well known manchester footballer showing off his new house at a party. I rang my supplier and they told me how to make it myself and couldnt belive how much i was paying in the past.

I agree that the price has contributed to the small market for these finishes.
I dont think the material is particuarly expensive. But its not as simple as buying a bag of skim.
There are a lot of different finishes to choose from, most require a specific primer, waxes and colour also adds to the cost.
The application tools and techniques are totally different to gypsum plaster and people have invested a lot in training etc.
The application takes several visits allowing time for each layer to carbonate overnight, correct preperation is crucial and this all takes time.
Used correctly the material goes a long way, it can be stored in sealed containers forever.

Have we not invested alot in training for general plastering rendering etc?????
I do marble plastering BUT i think its over priced it should be £40 a metre at very most, it requires alot less skill than plastering/rendering, the material IS overpriced but this is due to import fees.

Am a wizard at making the speacial marble 'primer' my supplier once forgot to send me some with my order and i was on a site with penalty clauses if the work wasnt complete in time for a well known manchester footballer showing off his new house at a party. I rang my supplier and they told me how to make it myself and couldnt belive how much i was paying in the past.

well tell us then , let's be knowing the good news.

At the time i was using a marmorino stucco product and was looking for alot of movemnt and chaters to show through in the final coat after burnishing. I was panicking because i wasnt sent the primer. My supplier told me to use a decent acrylic paint mixed with kiln dried sand (not to much depending on desired affect) painted on, left to set and then lightly sanded down. It worked a treat and 2 years later it was still on the wall thankfully...

At the time i was using a marmorino stucco product and was looking for alot of movemnt and chaters to show through in the final coat after burnishing. I was panicking because i wasnt sent the primer. My supplier told me to use a decent acrylic paint mixed with kiln dried sand (not to much depending on desired affect) painted on, left to set and then lightly sanded down. It worked a treat and 2 years later it was still on the wall thankfully...

Spot on ive been using acrylic for ages and i pass the kiln dried sand through a sieve to get rid of any nasty chunks

Spot on ive been using white acrylic primer for ages and i pass the kiln dried sand through a sieve to get rid of any nasty chunks

Have we not invested alot in training for general plastering rendering etc?????
I do marble plastering BUT i think its over priced it should be £40 a metre at very most, it requires alot less skill than plastering/rendering, the material IS overpriced but this is due to import fees.

I have to say the lot less skill thing is bollox. To get a spot on high polished finish does actually require skill. No offence lol!!!!!

I have to say the lot less skill thing is bollox. To get a spot on high polished finish does actually require skill. No offence lol!!!!!

I been doin venetian, microcement etc for about 6 years now and i have to disagree, i can teach someone how to get a top quality finish with venetian in about a week, i couldn't teach float and skim or rendering in a week it would take ALOT longer.

Its ok to teach someone venetian in a week but who's going to get the wall flat for them to do it?? My point being that you need the skill in both areas to do venetian. Going off topic slightly tho i have to say i'm pretty interested in the application of micro cement. Is the process anything like venetian? Also where do you get it from? I fancy having a dabble at home!

its 40% marble flour/dust 60% lime putty add colour pigments at a rate of 100gms per 10kg

tried to search online for a supplier for marble flour but no joy...does your supplier do different grades of the dust...i like to use carara for my base which has a slightly larger aggregate which gives it a bit more durability than the marmorino which i follow on with the polish coats...

Its ok to teach someone venetian in a week but who's going to get the wall flat for them to do it?? My point being that you need the skill in both areas to do venetian. Going off topic slightly tho i have to say i'm pretty interested in the application of micro cement. Is the process anything like venetian? Also where do you get it from? I fancy having a dabble at home!
Have a look at Emma Harding, very interesting site and based in milton keynes i think.
i would like to go on the course just to meet her!

I can get marble powder & colours a lot cheaper in Italy! I want to import it but I wonder what the problems might be as regards storing it in bulk or selling it from a website. I have worked with stucco veneziano all my life and being Italian I have good contacts in the trade in Italy. But do you think the profit margins are there to buy it cheap in Italy and sell it here in the UK?

I can get marble powder & colours a lot cheaper in Italy! I want to import it but I wonder what the problems might be as regards storing it in bulk or selling it from a website. I have worked with stucco veneziano all my life and being Italian I have good contacts in the trade in Italy. But do you think the profit margins are there to buy it cheap in Italy and sell it here in the UK?

With regards to profit margins, its hard to tell to be honest without knowing what you can get the gear for. I pay around £100.00 for a 25kg tub of classic, carrara etc. If you can do it cheaper than that then there is a fair chance of making a business

Hi... I'm looking for some good quality Marble Power.... Most suppliers are selling Calcium Carbonate, which is really talc/chalk and doesn't provide a good shine... Please tell me if you are now selling... Thanks, Dean

Real venetian materials are very expensive, extremely expensive here in United States where materials are imported from Italy and other countries. There are only a small manufacturer bases and most come from Italy. Your paying for materials to be shipped here via cargo ship/ocean. You pay international import tax. Then you pay the distributors markup which is 100% mark up. Then you pay delivery freight to you if you cannot pick it up. Then you pay your home state tax. So over the entire course from A to B to C to D the price increases to move the material. The market and job size are smaller due to the cost and availability. Paint is readily available and cheap and anyone can do it. There are only handfuls of people who know how to install these true lime marble plasters to specific standard finishes and achieve a harmonious finish each and everyday. You also got to account for labor as there are only a handful of certified applicators so you have to charge more for there labor. You have to account also that customers have no idea what the hell is a venetian plaster is besides what they see in pictures of imagine. Say you do a job and the customer gives you a picture of what they want. You are never going to imitate that picture and you and the customers idea of the color are always different. You do the job and spend time, materials, labor, and you finish and the customer says that is not the color in the picture I am not paying, Now you are screwed because you have two options either cut bait and leave which could bring with it many problems or be the best thing or complete the job again and hope this time the customer is happy and pays, but now your in the hole because you spent twice as much time, materials and labor on a very small job to begin with. So you have to charge a lot. There is no point in working for free. There are so many people, businesses and money around. If someone wants something they will always pay the premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.