1. Want to see how the new TPF works? Click here or you can drop me an email danny@plasterersforum.com
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Plasterers Forum has now made it even easier to share photos and videos than ever before Click Here To Learn How
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TPF is the biggest plastering community and resource on internet... we are still growing.... we are nearly 10 years old so we are here for a long time yet...
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Plasterers Forum is growing but we need your help to keep it growing.... Introduce yourself and say hello get involved... they dont bite :-)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Plasterers Forum is very busy!! ...25% up on last year!! Be a part of the biggest plastering community
    Dismiss Notice
  6. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
    Dismiss Notice

Plastering over tiles

Discussion in 'General Discussions On Plastering' started by craigEEE, Aug 13, 2017.

1. craigEEE

craigEEE Member

My mum and dad have just had a new shower fitted but have got some marble style boards on the shower area and now all the walls look well out if level and tiles look Pissed

Could I gypbond the tiles and bond the walls out and then re-skim?

2. beader

beader Private Member

Take them off and do the job properly .imo

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Nick.

Nick. New Member

Ive been told never plaster over anything thats smoother than your gooch and cant be bonded properly but as you please!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. CeeVee

CeeVee Well-Known Member

Says in here you can...

Screenshot_20170813-190228.png

5. Fatarm

Fatarm Trainee mod

Unifinish :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Vincey

Vincey Private Member

I'd rip um off just brought a new makita sds it would chip um off in minutes or maybe as fatarm says unifinish

7. John j

John j Active Member

Thought you could put the grit primer on tiles and skim em

8. craigEEE

craigEEE Member

That's what I thought, I don't really want to be smashing tiles off all over the bathroom as the suite is in top condition so I'm not after the easiest option but the most practical

9. Crouchie

Crouchie New Member

Take the suite out, or bubble wrap the sh** out of it with some cardboard and corex ontop of that get some duct tape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. beader

beader Private Member

I don't care what anyone says there is just something so wrong about plastering over tiles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Crouchie

Crouchie New Member

First time Iv heard of it to be hoe nest, Iv heard of tiling on tile

12. Djr

Djr Active Member

Yes blue grit or thistle bond it . It's not the best option but when we do pub refurb that's what they ask for. Plus it never comes of after that grit is on

13. Donzo

Donzo Active Member

Uni finish 100% bonds on ceramic tiles if they are solid on wall.
    Not designed for it,but i have done it on at least 10 jobs,,,,,and painted some,,,not had any issues.
    Grit can also be used over them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. malc

malc Private Member

we have applied pva and skim onto tiles provided they are clean, not covered in grease.

15. Crouchie

Crouchie New Member

Learn something new everyday, how did it work out with the distance between wall and bath tapes

16. Donzo

Donzo Active Member

Plastered over tiles in bathrooms when all white goods are out,,,,levelled off as required,,,,if margins where issues remove tiles as required

17. Donzo

Donzo Active Member

Done that also malc,,,but found the bond is not as good as uni,or grit

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. malc

malc Private Member

we try not to use grit. as we like to apply skim very tight.

19. Djr

Djr Active Member

What pva over tile and skim ooohhh no imo

20. zolco

zolco Private Member

I can't believe you sold yourself out :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. choppa

choppa Active Member

Pic please make sure the milf is taking a shower.

22. Topspread16

Topspread16 Active Member

I wouldn't go over tiles, especially with weight. Skim at push. Why not just try busting the tiles up then grit if you really can't be taking them off.

23. Djr

Djr Active Member

As I said who on earth would pva over tile and skim
    Might as well pva me van window screen and hope it takes ffs

24. Crouchie

Crouchie New Member

Remember to leave a couple holes to see through

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. Donzo

Donzo Active Member

Weight,,,,i have seen loads of jobs where tilers tile on top of existing tiles with big heavy tiles if the deem it ok. Its not by the book but everyone will not pay by the book if there is a cheaper alternative.

26. Donzo

Donzo Active Member

It was done like that,,pva sand mix left overnight,,,,,before grit came out and it worked for certain. Bonding was then skimmed then finish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Danny

Danny TPF OWNER

I personally would rip them off but know plenty of people who would grit an skim no bother

28. beader

beader Private Member

Plastering over tiles is just as bad as skimming over wood chip .Imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  29. John j

John j Active Member

It must take a age to go off

30. peterroberts

peterroberts Member

I would have thought if you pva the tiles then skim then tile again, you would be expecting the pva to hold the weight of the skim and the new tiles, as surely the pva would be just a film over the top of the tiles, wouldn't like to be in the shower/bath if the tiles failed.
    I would be taking them off and starting again, far better to do it right in the first place than to be sorry later
    Good luck

31. John j

John j Active Member

Think the case is they don't want the mess or chance of damaging the suite. I.ve never done it but would as heard it can be done

32. Donzo

Donzo Active Member

The question in this thread is can you skim over tiles.
    The answer is yes if you have margins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  33. Topspread16

Topspread16 Active Member

I wouldn't tile on tiles, paper over paper, carpet over laminate or even render over render. It's false economy, back to the base and start again. No matter what the cost because I'm being paid for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  34. Donzo

Donzo Active Member

The real world is different not everyone can afford to smash tiles off,re new plasterboard etc,,,
    The correct method is not in dispute.
    Take them off.
    But again the question was can you plaster over tiles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  35. John j

John j Active Member

Like when I walls a bit bumpy or knackered. I give em 2 prices the go to extreme one or just skim it but what might happen one . Most time they just skim it