Plastering over artex

lochie2332

Good evening all,

I'm looking for some advice before I go insane! We are renovating a property before moving in. The ceilings were all artex before and have been skimmed over. I'm not entirely happy with the finish but I'm trying to learn to live with it. The lounge is the worst of the rooms and the only way I can describe it is it has a wavy/lumpy/rolling hills texture to it after being painted. I am now wishing we overboarded it (hindsight and all that). I've attached a few pictures of during and after for reference.

I can't say I really looked closely at the ceiling before being done so it looks like the wavy bits are between joists but I'm pretty clueless!

Is this an acceptable finish for a skimmed artex ceiling?

Thank you
20240326_191419.jpg 20240326_191407.jpg 20240326_191614.jpg IMG-20240306-WA0011.jpg IMG-20240306-WA0009.jpg :)

Good evening all,

I'm looking for some advice before I go insane! We are renovating a property before moving in. The ceilings were all artex before and have been skimmed over. I'm not entirely happy with the finish but I'm trying to learn to live with it. The lounge is the worst of the rooms and the only way I can describe it is it has a wavy/lumpy/rolling hills texture to it after being painted. I am now wishing we overboarded it (hindsight and all that). I've attached a few pictures of during and after for reference.

I can't say I really looked closely at the ceiling before being done so it looks like the wavy bits are between joists but I'm pretty clueless!

Thank you
View attachment 78035View attachment 78036View attachment 78037View attachment 78038View attachment 78039:)

Not fantastic,

But they must have been f**k*d. Going by the freshly plastered images, they already did a fair bit of dubbing out to be drying like that. Also being governed by the coving line there's only so much they could do (without removing it) and killing the line.

Probably double the money to remove coving - board and skim though!

Not fantastic,

But they must have been f**k*d. Going by the freshly plastered images, they already did a fair bit of dubbing out to be drying like that. Also being governed by the coving line there's only so much they could do (without removing it) and killing the line.

Probably double the money to remove coving - board and skim though!
Thank you for replying. Do you mean that they were buggered because the ceiling was most likely bad before? If so the artex must have been hiding a multitude of sins.

The coving was replaced in all the rooms except the lounge as it was the only one that wasn't textured. One of the pictures with the smaller window is a bedroom in which the coving actually was replaced but still has the same bumpy effect.

Such a shame when you spend lots of money and don't get the finish you were expecting. Maybe in the future we'll have them boarded when I can't look at it any more....

Last edited:
Good evening all,

Thank you
View attachment 78035View attachment 78036View attachment 78037View attachment 78038View attachment 78039:)
How much did you pay for that ?