plastering onto limestone

Status
Not open for further replies.

devr

Hi all - not a plasterer but learning on my own house - hard job to get right! and im better off with sandpaper lol

- Ive got an old cottage thats a bit of a mish mash of limestone victorian brickwork and some new build and done all the renovation myself so far! - stripped back the whole place to walls including taking the roof off and rebuilding with dormas on one side.
On the old part one of the rooms is half meter thick limestone walls and there was damp in the corner so I racked out the joints and refilled with 3:1 sand and hydraulic lime nh3 flattening the wall as much as i could.
The walls took a lot of water, surprised me how porous they can be and how quick they dry out even in winter!
next was a scratch coat which I flattened as much as possible and did a final finish coat - the result in the 2 rooms that are stone looks good and similar to the haired lime putty that was there previously in its sorry state. So my question is apart from not doing 3 coat work is that the right way of working on old stone walls (internal) - ive seen some polish plasterers down the road do it in browning - that is scratch, levelling coat then finish coat but that would only work if the wall is good and dry in my opinion.
I had thought of using lime putty gauged with sand but the setting time was off putting so did it in hydraulic.
so far a little efflourescence from the damp corner but no real problems as that washed off!

another question out of curiosity is what could you do to shorten the setting of lime putty when spread - read that it could have a third of plaster paris added to improve the set.

thanks

ive seen some polish plasterers down the road do it in browning - that is scratch, levelling coat then finish coat but that would only work if the wall is good and dry in my opinion.

:RpS_biggrin:
What do they know lol.

studwork or dot and dab?

if it were someone elses I probably would have done it that way though

:RpS_biggrin:
What do they know lol.
the couple who own the house seemed pleased with it at the time - I think they charged £90 a room for 2 rooms! luckily their house has very little damp otherwise it would have started to flake and crumble unless im mistaken.

I reckon the browning might help with that lack of damp............:RpS_thumbup:
pay peanuts get polish............:RpS_thumbdn:

Stud wall devr nothing will completely alleviate a bit of moisture but theres no need for lime mortar anymore unless it's listed lack of space etc or keeping it in theme

the couple who own the house seemed pleased with it at the time - I think they charged £90 a room for 2 rooms! luckily their house has very little damp otherwise it would have started to flake and crumble unless im mistaken.

Jesus... £90 a room!!!! :-0

They have been ripped off!

Thanks - will bear that in mind for the future. looking back - i did make a lot of extra work for myself lol - live and learn !

Jesus... £90 a room!!!! :-0

They have been ripped off!

I would have screwed them down on price and got them to dig the back yard over too for that lol

but seriously -After reading through some of the threads here over the past week or so I can see that the plastering trade is up against it with the eastern europeans coming here for work. All manner of trades are now being effected by this influx - skilled and unskilled. I cant understand why they are opening the borders further - the barstewards are designing this wage downturn!

Status
Not open for further replies.