Plastering of dining room - SE London

Members online

garak112

Currently redecorating dining room and need walls and ceiling plastering.

Ceiling was covered in polystyrene tiles which are now removed but rock solid adhesive residue remains. I'm not sure the best way to go over this.

Walls have lots of light cracking and I've taken a few areas back to brick where the plaster was blown.

Opened up old fireplace which needs plastering internally (not to be used as firewood).

Room is 17 Sq M and is square but has staircase boxing on one end.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 338
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 382
Take the cracked stuff off and ask the plasterer to patch with bonding reskiming over as big a crack as that is a no no. My preference would be to knock it all off and plasterboard it though

That was my first plan but I was worried about opening a huge can of worms if there was a way to do it without damaging it further.

That was my first plan but I was worried about opening a huge can of worms if there was a way to do it without damaging it further.
Of its your house just do it right mate your not gonna be happy having paid for it to be plastered and a month down the line it all cracks

So hack off the lathe and plaster over the door and put in a wooden frame (any recommendations for which size wood to use) and then board over?

What about the ceiling which is covered in lumps of adhesive (couple of mm thick)? It's in fairly good nick apart from that although I had planned to rescrew all the boards.