Plastering advice

Members online

Foxman

Hi

As a customer I am after some impartial expert advice on some plastering I have had done, there are two points as follows:

1. A ceiling has been plasterboarded then skimmed. On painting the second coat the ceiling is extremely rippled. The builder claims that even though the ceiling is plasterboarded there is nothing that can be done and it is the fact the house is old that the ceiling is ripped.

2. Some hard walls on the house have been skimmed and the effect is that the walls are very bumpy, especially within 20cm in the skirting boards and on a newly bonded wall. Again the builder says because the house is old and it is a hard wall that there is nothing that can be done and the effect from any plasterer would be the same.

Please could I have some advice on this please.

Many thanks,
Gary

Hi

As a customer I am after some impartial expert advice on some plastering I have had done, there are two points as follows:

1. A ceiling has been plasterboarded then skimmed. On painting the second coat the ceiling is extremely rippled. The builder claims that even though the ceiling is plasterboarded there is nothing that can be done and it is the fact the house is old that the ceiling is ripped.

2. Some hard walls on the house have been skimmed and the effect is that the walls are very bumpy, especially within 20cm in the skirting boards and on a newly bonded wall. Again the builder says because the house is old and it is a hard wall that there is nothing that can be done and the effect from any plasterer would be the same.

Please could I have some advice on this please.

Many thanks,
Gary
First of all old buildings have quirks and a experienced tradesman will know this.
So the expectation is that it is finished to a standard that might be termed 'modern'.
Unfortunately that's not always the case, sounds like there's a definite difference in opinion.

Unless you asked for olde worlde plastering , I would say that he is pissing up your back!

wes anderson fox GIF

It's best to put some pictures up !! Or are we supposed to use the force !!
Here are some photos, my phone camera is not so good.
In one the light switch was flush before plastering and the other shows a crack where the wall was painted on whilst the plastering was still damp.
When the light is favourable in the room I can get a photo of the rippled,ripped ceiling.

Attachments

• DSC_4711.JPG
    DSC_4711.JPG
    758.9 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_4712.JPG
    DSC_4712.JPG
    823.5 KB · Views: 75
It's best to put some pictures up !! Or are we supposed to use the force !!
I'll try during the day, have done two already in other posts in this thread, but you have to feel the bumps unfortunately which cannot be photographed, should be able to get something of the ceiling when the light is favourable in the room.

I’ll tell u this, he probably didn’t hire a good plasterer. When ive worked with my dad we’ve never had the walls or ceiling ripped. I think if the house is old then it’s normal for there to be some minor cracks but not anything major. From what I know if you use scrim tape to cover any crevices and use pva on the walls and the right technique there shouldn’t be any bumps even on a bonded wall. And for the ceiling if it’s been plasterboarded there especially shouldn’t be any rips it’s just poor skill is my guess

I'll try during the day, have done two already in other posts in this thread, but you have to feel the bumps unfortunately which cannot be photographed, should be able to get something of the ceiling when the light is favourable in the room.
Yes it's hard to see on those pictures ,try in decent light from multiple shots !

For photos now including the ceiling, hope the light makes everything clear...
DSC_4714.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_4713.JPG
    DSC_4713.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
  • DSC_4712.JPG
    DSC_4712.JPG
    823.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_4711.JPG
    DSC_4711.JPG
    758.9 KB · Views: 55
Thank you for all your helpful comments.

Can I ask what is the best way now to fix this issue including the ripped/rippled ceiling?

Many thanks,
Gary