Plasterers wanted Medway, Broadstairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to struggle to do anything in the shape I'm at the mo but back a while that would have been no problem.
When floating with S&C I used to do 70m2 plus a day labouring on myself when I was your age Steve.

Bet it was great to not have to drop back and start setting. God how i hate hardwall, seems like the scientist at Bg thought " wont it be funny if we make a back coat thats really s**t "

like i said andy i'd not done that much floating until i went on my tod. whenever we did it was only the odd wall or patching. in fact we were on a job about 12months before i left. dug all the floors out in a kitchen. concreted and screeded them, knocked all the old plaster off the walls ready for dabbing and then the customers brother came in, turns out he was a chippy who teaches at college and was telling her how much better floating was. convinced her to change her mind. Col refused to do it and just said if you want them floated you'll have to get someone else. god knows why, i guess he'd just had enough of it after 50 odd years. i thought he was buffing but nope, we cleaned up, got paid and never went back. even now the most f&s i've done in a day with this insurance firm is a kitchen and a couple of other walls in the living room, about 30ish m2

I must admit Steve I always preferred floating days to skimming days. You can stop for a break whenever you want to within reason and you always felt like you controlled the S&C rather than the finish controlling you. Mind you that's using a 175ltr diesel mixer and a tipped load of sand not a horrid little electric or worse still petrol mixer and bags of sand.

Here's one for you lot then. What do you reckon is quicker, dabbing or floating? Fella I work with atm reckons he could float a room out quicker than he can dabbing. I think on straight runs especially, dabbings gotta be quicker surely?

It's probably because were used to floating I'd say floating and you get less waste and it doesn't sound s**t when you bump into it

I agree spunks solid walls are far superior to dabbed and faster but I do a lot of work for small builders and they like to do the dabbing there self to cut the cost down.

I much prefer solid plastering especially with S&C but I think dabbing probably has the edge on speed on straight forward work.

Also drying times for decorating

People are starting to realise that dabbing needs to treated pretty much the same as solid work where drying times are concerned because if done correctly a fifth of the back of the board is covered with 10mm of adhesive that still needs to dry out. I've heard of several jobs where the paint has peeled or mould has appeared where each dab is on finished houses that are then shut up when finished.

i bet on a straight run spraying hardwall is quicker than dabbing. and i reckon on an average house a decent spread by hand would def give a sticker a run for his money

Nick if I've got loads of floating that needs doing I've got a good friend who will bring his machine along.

Actually Dave I've got some quite quite high walls to do next week and I reckon I might just reach standing on that Joddy so perhaps it's not worthless after all.

beds you dont need a lab for floating get a blue barrel cut in half you can knock 3 bags of hardwall in it mix 3 a bit wet load it on the board then mix another 3 wetter leave in the butt when you have done your first 3 load the next lot up and mix another 3 wet it goes like clockwork

This is how i do it if on my own.....You only need to cover 30-35m2 on your own a day f&s...

Status
Not open for further replies.