plaster falling off ceiling?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Col27

Hi lads, im new here asking for help and saying hello! Ive been plastering on the weekends on the side for 2 1/2 years. I skimmed a ceiling yesterday which had roll on artex crap on it. Took or all high spots and 2 coats of pva as u do. I worked my nutts off getting it nice and flat as it was ducking and diving everywhere. Troweling up the last metre square corner and it started sagging!!!!!! So i stopped for 10mins thinkin boll**ks the artex/polytex has pulled. I cut a little hole out of it to see if it has? Bloody hell if i did the HOLE 15ft x 13ft plaster come off!! The artex/polytex was still on the ceiling??? For the life of me i cant work out why the plaster didnt take to it?! Ive skimmed tonnes of artex ceilings and never had problems? Overboarded today because i couldnt get thr artex/polytex off. Now finished job done. please help me guys

Hi lads, im new here asking for help and saying hello! Ive been plastering on the weekends on the side for 2 1/2 years. I skimmed a ceiling yesterday which had roll on artex crap on it. Took or all high spots and 2 coats of pva as u do. I worked my nutts off getting it nice and flat as it was ducking and diving everywhere. Troweling up the last metre square corner and it started sagging!!!!!! So i stopped for 10mins thinkin boll**ks the artex/polytex has pulled. I cut a little hole out of it to see if it has? Bloody hell if i did the HOLE 15ft x 13ft plaster come off!! The artex/polytex was still on the ceiling??? For the life of me i cant work out why the plaster didnt take to it?! Ive skimmed tonnes of artex ceilings and never had problems? Overboarded today because i couldnt get thr artex/polytex off. Now finished job done. please help me guys

what was the artex painted in? chalk wash may be ,can wash this of with sponge first then pva

Ive had that few times.and so has alot of spreads.the artex peels away frm the original skim.cant be helped

No he says the artex was still on. Either the PVA didn't bond (unlikely) or the finish failed to bond to the PVA (more likely).

How strong was the PVA mix and how wet was it when you went over it?

A bonding agent is a better option or even better is what you've now done...overboarding.

No he says the artex was still on. Either the PVA didn't bond (unlikely) or the finish failed to bond to the PVA (more likely).

How strong was the PVA mix and how wet was it when you went over it?

A bonding agent is a better option or even better is what you've now done...overboarding.
Finish has defiantly failed to bond with PVA, I think he's used 2 coats of PVA straight out the bottle and lost all suction from the ceiling.

haha when i had just started working for my self i was doin a job and one of the ceilins he decided not to board over so i said to him i cnt skim on that its all distemper, well all i got was a load of abuse and if you dnt skim it as it is then ill get someone else and i wnt be paying ya, so i said to him ok ill do it but wen it fails youll pay me again to do it properly.
well i started laid on first coat flatten, stayed up (b*ll***s) second coat flatten, stayed up (bollock feeling like a right c**t now), went out for a quick fag and wen i came in, in the middle of the room was my labourer coverd head to toe in plaster and a sheet of wet plaster pva side up all over the floor haha, if youd seen his face you would have folded with lafter haha

yep,happens,aint it a pain in the arse!!I came across it once a few months ago,some time last year.I reskimmed a livingroom ceiling approx 4mX4m with 2 coats of multi finish.I applied two coats of pva with a 3:1 ratio.Was going smoothly until i got to the last m2 of the trowling off stage when all on a sudden about a square foot of it sagged off.I just brushed the edges of the existing plaster and applied pure pva onto the exposed section and re-plastered,it worked,though slowed me down and made me piss boil,ha,ha,happens

Mate these days I recommend that when you skim over artex to put a bonding coat on first instead of taking high points off of artex as Artex in the 80's had some asbestos in it taking off the high points would only release asbestos into the air and therefore dangerous. From what I have read perhaps the area was maybe dusty and you have pva on dust therefore the pva wont bond to the ceiling or the pva had dried as you are supposed to plaster on a tacky coat. Other options are that maybe you watered down the pva too weak but then why the rest of the ceiling didnt come down or cheap pva but again why didnt the rest of the ceiling fall off.

I cant see that it would be distemper on the artex as distemper was a white wash of the old days and artex isnt as old as that.

Like Rpc73 mentions about the dust.
If you put the 1st coat of pva on too thick over the dust then it'll just peel away, so the weight of the plaster will just pull it down.
As long as you've had it tested for asbestos, scrape it then sweep the dust off then a thin pva first & 2nd pva once 1st is dry then it won't drop off :RpS_thumbup:
If it's very dusty you could use a stabilising solution 1st then pva or a bonding agent.

Hi lads pva can be a no no anyway. wba or bond it. has grit in the mix ull be better of useing this. also the artex u skimmed on was it vinyl painted.this also a problem. the one problem ive had is if the room is a smokers room the grease the smoke leaves on the ceiling will not help the bond and it will need to be washed of. but best thing to do is over board. but if there coveing most people dont go with that option as you will need coving after and the cost seems to much. but for the work youll put in and have a guarantee job i know what id rather.

always recommend to clients that artex is over boarded, if they wont go there, i tell them that i'll do it but wont warranty it .

Status
Not open for further replies.