Plaster effect wooden beams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleyscoob

image.jpg
image.jpg
after a bit of advice done a plaster effect false beam today just after some advice on what stain is best to use . Am going to paint it with a primer first but not sure if a artists oil paint thinned down would work or a decorators stain would be better any help would be great

Last edited by a moderator:
thats the nuts mate id like to know how to do these how did you get it to look so natural??

Just put a couple of good thick coats of skim on and shaped it let it go a bit and used a sponge float on it to start graining then a cork to form the knots and carved the splits when Going off took about 3 1/2 hours just not sure on staining
A Decorater I know does then he's s..t hot but will not let anybody know his staining methods

after a bit of advice done a plaster effect false beam today just after some advice on what stain is best to use . Am going to paint it with a primer first but not sure if a artists oil paint thinned down would work or a decorators stain would be better any help would be great
it looks good that mate would like to see it done

Just put a couple of good thick coats of skim on and shaped it let it go a bit and used a sponge float on it to start graining then a cork to form the knots and carved the splits when Going off took about 3 1/2 hours just not sure on staining
A Decorater I know does then he's s..t hot but will not let anybody know his staining methods

I'm going to be doing some of these in my kitchen over the Easter break. I was told by a plasterer mate that he used Brywax for staining. Yours look brilliant... Well done

Cracking job there mate (y)
I'm sure Noel did some of these before he might be able to help on the staining methods :sisi:

Hi mate only just seen this thread as I was at a reunion last night, beams look really good. You need to use a water based wood stain rather than oil based as you wont blend the different colours. Prime the fresh beam first with artex sealer as you want to kill the suction completely. Also if you tape off to your new plaster before you start making the beam then when youve finished staining you can just knife the tape off nice and clean.

Theres some short vids here mate of some finished ones. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPvxhuEEmOZRIe6m1MDWZ3qtiUm9NeRmO

Apologies for the shi7 music lol.

If you need to make any with dowels, then find an existing beam with dowels in push some plasticine over it pull it off and fill it with stiff gear at the end of a set, peal the plasticine off the next morning. Stain the dowels separately so when they're stuck on they look like separate bits of wood.

I was on a job years ago where a guy made several beams like this on a high ceiling, looked great like these do with all the knots and splits, would love to try it myself but it would probably just end up looking like a badly plastered beam not wood lol

Hi mate only just seen this thread as I was at a reunion last night, beams look really good. You need to use a water based wood stain rather than oil based as you wont blend the different colours. Prime the fresh beam first with artex sealer as you want to kill the suction completely. Also if you tape off to your new plaster before you start making the beam then when youve finished staining you can just knife the tape off nice and clean.

Theres some short vids here mate of some finished ones. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPvxhuEEmOZRIe6m1MDWZ3qtiUm9NeRmO[/Qt hanks for the device is there a certain make of stain that is best and do you use a black stain to do inside the cracks and how many coats

Can't remember mate, im sure it was Ronseal doesn't matter though as long as its water based, and you've sealed the plaster.

Just get a tin of Ebony and a tin or Antique pine, between the two you can make loads of different shades of brown.

Do all your splits and knots first with the Ebony, Have a bucket of clean water with a sponge in, brush the ebony into all the low points then sponge it straight off again with a clean sponge and it will leave all your low points dark. Use the same process with the browns and you'll build up loads of different layers of colour.

Its quite easy to over do it so walk away if you need to else it'll just go to dark.

hi everyone im new to the forum been plastering almost 20 yrs now i am interested in seeing one of these wood effect beams being done i have seen one a few yrs ago but it wasnt the standard of these ive seen on here these look superb

youve made a top job of that beam mate ive been in the job a good while and i take my hat off to work like that i will be tryin one of them myself in near future any advice would help

@Ashleyscoob Outstanding mate top job.

What did you seal it with in the end ? and did you use the water based stain ?
Made some samples boards up and tried loads of different stains ie artists oil paints diluted with turps acrylic paints, water based stain by ronseal
But customer chose the artist oil paint , it worked well and left it more Matt than a satin finish but am going to try the way to said with a wipe over with a sponge next time thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.