Ocr advice needed

Members online

plast010580

Hi all,
I am looking for a bit of advice when using ocr.

I have done quite a bit of tradition sand & cement in the past and now do mainly ewi thin coat systems.

I have a customer who need a the front of his house rendered on a budget so I have suggested using ocr as I understand it is a one coat system mirroring the traditional sand and cement finish which he can then paint.

Firstly am I correct in thinking ocr would be suitable for this ??

Secondly what is the best way to finish ocr?? I.e type of float / type of sponge??

I am thinking :
Fit 15mm beads
1st pass with mesh
2nd pass when still wet
Rule off with serrated straight edge
Float ( what type of float is best to use??)
Sponge finish

Advice would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Normally yes but not at this time of year. Two coat it.

Treat it like you would sand and cement.

Ocr is more expensive than sand and cement why not use that if he wants a cheap job

Good point
Sand quality is diminishing. This time of year the bottom of the ton bag is generally soaked so the mixes change as the bag goes down.
OCR is machinable, OCR every mix is exactly the same, OCR isn’t a huge amount dearer when the lime, cement, cement mixer, time gauging everything etc is taken into account.

Sand quality is diminishing. This time of year the bottom of the ton bag is generally soaked so the mixes change as the bag goes down.
OCR is machinable, OCR every mix is exactly the same, OCR isn’t a huge amount dearer when the lime, cement, cement mixer, time gauging everything etc is taken into account.
Fair enough points mate , about £220 ish more in every tonne used would you agree ?

Thanks for the advice.

Wanted to use ocr due to the limited space and ease of mixing.

So would ocr be floated with the same polyurethane float?? Or would a Regina plastic diamond faced float be better??

I’d probably say was thinking of using cos can be done in a quicker time to finish but at this time of year and if you gotta treat like normal sand Cement no point in it me personally think the weather against me now to do the rendering I do got the utmost respect for the boys who do it all year round though

How is it half the cost on Labour. There is no way I do it for half the price of site mix
Probably seeing as being done in one go so less labour but I can’t be doing cos takes less time it is less money the price is the price

Probably seeing as being done in one go so less labour but I can’t be doing cos takes less time it is less money the price is the price
But it's twice the price of site mix. And even if I wasn't supplying it id not do it for half the price. Might do it about €2 less a m2. But if I wasn't useig the machine to mix and take it up the scaffolding. And have mix it up in buckets I'd want the same as site mix price. As ocr is horrible to put on by hand. All spray renders are. I'd rather use site mix by hand tbh

Thanks for the advice.

Wanted to use ocr due to the limited space and ease of mixing.

So would ocr be floated with the same polyurethane float?? Or would a Regina plastic diamond faced float be better??
Listen to @Rigsby he is the expert regard rendering and highly respected on here. What ever he says just do it unless he asks you to suck him off!! Cos this one time at band camp .......:rolleyes:

With the pre bagged ocr’s some are waterproof like Parmurex for example.

Usually as a base coat this is good for when the humidity in the air rises like it does from October on then it is the usual problem of going on wet and staying wet all day.

Accelerator will help, but it still sets full of water. A bot different to when it sets and surface dries.

What I tend to do in the colder months but in a sand and cement sense is scratch coat with waterproofing in then a second scratch without.

This causing initial grab because of suction and dries the surface to a point.

There are problems to consider though. The waterproofer will send the water to the bottom, the top will soon dry and rub up but the bottom will still hang. If its a big wall then use accelerator and start at the bottom and work up.

I am not too sure about suction on other ocr’s like Weber etc. I usually put a ocr over a base coat so no suction. Maybe if the ocr’s that do suck then a scratch coat over base if costs allow.

With the pre bagged ocr’s some are waterproof like Parmurex for example.

Usually as a base coat this is good for when the humidity in the air rises like it does from October on then it is the usual problem of going on wet and staying wet all day.

Accelerator will help, but it still sets full of water. A bot different to when it sets and surface dries.

What I tend to do in the colder months but in a sand and cement sense is scratch coat with waterproofing in then a second scratch without.

This causing initial grab because of suction and dries the surface to a point.

There are problems to consider though. The waterproofer will send the water to the bottom, the top will soon dry and rub up but the bottom will still hang. If its a big wall then use accelerator and start at the bottom and work up.

I am not too sure about suction on other ocr’s like Weber etc. I usually put a ocr over a base coat so no suction. Maybe if the ocr’s that do suck then a scratch coat over base if costs allow.
Can't we do the old newspaper trick like the old boys John? :LOL: