Newbie with a render problem after selfbuild

Hopefully24

I put up a message on the lime render section.
Selfbuild, couple of years old, craze cracking on the external white lime render starting to show up with greening this winter.
Need a solution to cover the cracks, while allowing the render to breath etc. Advice welcome!

Attachments

• 20240219_083350.jpg
    20240219_083350.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 47
Firms like Anglia lime produce a lime based exterior paint. As regards the cracking I would guess that someone mixed white cement with the lime on application.

Selfbuild, couple of years old, craze cracking on the external white lime render starting to show up with greening this winter.
Need a solution to cover the cracks, while allowing the render to breath etc. Advice welcome!
What was the substrate made from?

Firms like Anglia lime produce a lime based exterior paint. As regards the cracking I would guess that someone mixed white cement with the lime on application.
I recall the plasterers that did it mention white cement - was that a no no? I clearly don't have have experience and was relying on what I thought were professionals

I recall the plasterers that did it mention white cement - was that a no no? I clearly don't have have experience and was relying on what I thought were professionals
Well if it has cement in it it isn't a lime render. Probably a normal sand, cement and hydrated lime topcoat.
Even so it still shouldn't have cracked like that.

Well if it has cement in it it isn't a lime render. Probably a normal sand, cement and hydrated lime topcoat.
Even so it still shouldn't have cracked like that.
Thanks for the reply.

Looking back on old messages, this was what we were told we were getting
"White limestone sand White cement and lime
It's extremely dear stuff", ironically we went with this render to save on painting costs.

Looks like we'll have to paint with breathable lime paint this summer

Thanks for the reply.

Looking back on old messages, this was what we were told we were getting
"White limestone sand White cement and lime
It's extremely dear stuff", ironically we went with this render to save on painting costs.

Looks like we'll have to paint with breathable lime paint this summer
Just use a good quality masonry paint, you're overcomplicating things.

Not lime plaster/render, definitely doesn't look it

Looks like plate cracking.

Lime (hydrated) added to muck doesn't make it lime based.

That's too strong a mix (rigid) over weaker or more flexible backing.

Don't f**k about with lime paint, contact Bedec or kingfisher, they'll sort you with what you need.