Newbie plastering in bathroom

Members online

Stealthwolf

Hi guys,

There's a small section of the bathroom that needs replastering and painting. I think the previous owners removed some of the plaster to fit the bathtub in.

IMG_9518_zpsvsusrba9.jpg

I plan to replace the bath panel with a flat one rather than curved and this will expose more of the damaged area. I was going to rub down the area, apply two coats of PVA, build up two layers of plaster (thistle multi finish), sandpaper the dried plaster, paint with initial 50/50 matt emulsion, two coats of normal paint.

Does this sound all reasonable or is there anything I've missed or forgotten?

Thanks. Unfortunately missed your reply and started plastering. Used 2 coats of decorators PVA glue from B&Q, left first to dry for 24 hours, applied second and then mixed plaster.

By the time I'd taken the plaster upstairs, it had become very stiff and difficult to apply. Went back down, added water and remixed it. Took longer this time to get the right consistency.

Applied first layer. It looked good. Left it for 24 hours and applied second layer. Still looked good and smooth. Following day, the plaster had crazy paving and chunks were bowing out. Was easily able to remove it with my hands.

Should have used easy fill to build up the wall. Will have another go.

Thanks. Unfortunately missed your reply and started plastering. Used 2 coats of decorators PVA glue from B&Q, left first to dry for 24 hours, applied second and then mixed plaster.

By the time I'd taken the plaster upstairs, it had become very stiff and difficult to apply. Went back down, added water and remixed it. Took longer this time to get the right consistency.

Applied first layer. It looked good. Left it for 24 hours and applied second layer. Still looked good and smooth. Following day, the plaster had crazy paving and chunks were bowing out. Was easily able to remove it with my hands.

Should have used easy fill to build up the wall. Will have another go.

get some pictures up :D

get some pictures up :D

This is after the first layer:

IMG_1285.JPG

This is after the second layer:
IMG_1290.JPG

I think I should have used unibond pva & sealer rather than just B&Q's decorator PVA. The plaster was left over from a friend's job earlier in the year. I reckon the plaster was too thick as well (I was trying to fill out the gap using the plaster).

When it all cracked and fell off:

IMG_1299.JPG

Gonna have to start again.

Attachments

• IMG_1285.JPG
    IMG_1285.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 388
  • IMG_1290.JPG
    IMG_1290.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 413
With all respect mate get someone in you dont know what you're doing

View attachment 14279

View attachment 14280

I think I should have used unibond pva & sealer rather than just B&Q's decorator PVA. The plaster was left over from a friend's job earlier in the year. I reckon the plaster was too thick as well (I was trying to fill out the gap using the plaster).

View attachment 14281

Looks to me that the backing coat is a gonner too, knock it back to brick then bond it out then skim it. Or get a plasterer to patch it for you might be less headache and gets it done in a jiffy

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

water pva down around 5-1 and give the backing plaster a few coats, it looks very pourous so will keep drying almost instantly, keep applying until it stays wet for a little while then give it a 3-1....also put a bit on the wall you are feathering into....put your first coat on and then when it goes putty like (probably 20-30 mins put a second coat on...where you are meeting the existing plaster brush it with a wet paint brush and try to meet the existing the best you can...as the plaster is getting firm put a bit of water on it with your wet brush and try to make it blemish free

View attachment 14279

View attachment 14280

View attachment 14281

Go onto a reputable plasterers forum, find a section called "public looking for plasterers", put a post asking for a nice reputable well trained and experienced man (or woman) to come round and do the work for you. They will want paying for this and you will get a bathroom to be proud of. Just saying.

looks like you left it to long between coats. When applying second coat there would be no suction control so it would just crack when drying out

View attachment 14279

View attachment 14280

View attachment 14281

What does it look like now?

Go and get yourself a bag of tarmacadam one coat render. I think b&q do it mix it up slap it on neat and smooth it off with a streight edge ! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or phone a professional plasterer and they will make it beautiful and save u pulling ur hair out mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk