NEW MEMBER... Requiring CONTRACT experiences with main contractors

Members online

Dan Cooper

Hi all, Just to introduce myself my name is Dan and i am currently doing my dissertation for my masters in Quantity Surveying (conversion course after studying geography). After learning more and more about the construction industry I found the conditions sub-contractors often get subjected to by main contractors as nothing more than a disgrace and very often unethical. Consequently this is the topic of my dissertation to try an shed some academic light on this appalling issue of subcontractors difficulties in obtaining payment from main contractors as well as investigating the effect it has on subcontractor cash flow.

Subsequently I was wondering if anybody has perhaps any old amended subcontracts I could have a look at? or any stories/difficulties they've ever faced with aspects such as retentions, set offs, accelerating the works, getting paid for variations etc etc.

No mention whatsoever of any names or anything like that would be written about as i know from a subbie perspective there is always the worry the main contractor could hold that against them in future jobs.

Any help/feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Dan :)

i think you may be best to post this on linkedin aswell there is alot of contractors on there who highlight how bad main contractors are

Welcome along Dan, a good idea you have there, keep this thread alive and I'm sure it will be filled with wondrous and woeful tales

Hi all, Just to introduce myself my name is Dan and i am currently doing my dissertation for my masters in Quantity Surveying (conversion course after studying geography). After learning more and more about the construction industry I found the conditions sub-contractors often get subjected to by main contractors as nothing more than a disgrace and very often unethical. Consequently this is the topic of my dissertation to try an shed some academic light on this appalling issue of subcontractors difficulties in obtaining payment from main contractors as well as investigating the effect it has on subcontractor cash flow.

Subsequently I was wondering if anybody has perhaps any old amended subcontracts I could have a look at? or any stories/difficulties they've ever faced with aspects such as retentions, set offs, accelerating the works, getting paid for variations etc etc.

No mention whatsoever of any names or anything like that would be written about as i know from a subbie perspective there is always the worry the main contractor could hold that against them in future jobs.

Any help/feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Dan :)

its no secret everyone at the top is robbing everyone down the line.
just look at the new build rates ......without the retention.. 5% drop for early pay...even the threat of deadlines or "f**k off".
i could be here all night with stories.
the business world has changed to a greedy world.