Nela heartbreak

Members online

Cornelius

IMG_2150.JPG
How could I be so reckless to stand on my beloved nela premium, totally gutted. Spent the morning scratching my head walking around aimlessly and on the internet looking for a new one. Got myself the 14 inch nela carbon as a replacement hopefully it's as good as the stainless if not better. @Vincey speaks highly of his @Olican did you get one?

View attachment 17323 How could I be so reckless to stand on my beloved nela premium, totally gutted. Spent the morning scratching my head walking around aimlessly and on the internet looking for a new one. Got myself the 14 inch nela carbon as a replacement hopefully it's as good as the stainless if not better. @Vincey speaks highly of his @Olican did you get one?

I am actually gutted to see this! Had one guy run his over the other day and asked if warranty would cover it :cachetada:

Don't think I've seen a trowel break like that before lol, how did you manage to do that

My first MT broke like that when numpty just chucked scaffold planks in back of the van and one landed on my toolbag and it cracked along very similar to the pic. As I was an apprentice at the time nobody gave a s**t and had to buy a new one. On apprentice wages that was a crippler :(

If you trod on a s*p*r*lex you would leave the imprint of your boot in it.

The premium must use a very hard chromium steel to snap like that.

I was working on some steps quite narrow, I perched the trowel up against a step and went to get my straight edge. As I came back down I stood on it and I looked down and it was shear horror! Great trowel very sad. I was skimming and rendering with it.

I was working on some steps quite narrow, I perched the trowel up against a step and went to get my straight edge. As I came back down I stood on it and I looked down and it was shear horror! Great trowel very sad. I was skimming and rendering with it.
Those premium mark 2 are very good and I was sent one to try before it was launched. I was skimming over artex ceilings and it was great straight out of the box but I did need a superted for last wipe. But for a new trowel out of the box it was great.

Those premium mark 2 are very good and I was sent one to try before it was launched. I was skimming over artex ceilings and it was great straight out of the box but I did need a superted for last wipe. But for a new trowel out of the box it was great.
I'm not sure which one this was, it was 18months old, started skimming with it straight away. ive got back up trowels but they just don't feel right now.

I'm not sure which one this was, it was 18months old, started skimming with it straight away. ive got back up trowels but they just don't feel right now.
I feel your pain it's heartbreaking to have a favourite trowel go bang

View attachment 17323 How could I be so reckless to stand on my beloved nela premium, totally gutted. Spent the morning scratching my head walking around aimlessly and on the internet looking for a new one. Got myself the 14 inch nela carbon as a replacement hopefully it's as good as the stainless if not better. @Vincey speaks highly of his @Olican did you get one?
First I thought What a dicksplat, now I feel sorry for the poor t**t ,

Look on the bright side
You'll have a Nela Carbon at last
It's meant to be , written in the stars

Carbon Crew Rule

Not yet bud, everyday I have a list of calls to make and Bryan is on that list. Tomorrow definitely tomorrow :confused: Have you got any 14" carbons in stock @Plasterers1StopShop .?

Don't think I've seen a trowel break like that before lol, how did you manage to do that

Same thing happened to mine few years back. Was a great skimming trowel only I used it to float a chimney. Set it on the chimney cap then knocked it off it by accident and it hit concrete footpath below. I was f**k**g gutted because it was best trowel I've had!

Same thing happened to mine few years back. Was a great skimming trowel only I used it to float a chimney. Set it on the chimney cap then knocked it off it by accident and it hit concrete footpath below. I was f**k**g gutted because it was best trowel I've had!

What make was that ?

IMG_2162.JPG
The new arrival, looks easy enough to break this in. Notice the rivets aren't visible either like the marshalltown. A complimentary chocolate bar came with it aswell (y)

Look
Are u going to soak it in vinegar & coke ( the trowel) noted a pic a few weeks ago from vincey his looked pretty cool?
I probably won't bother just keep it clean and dry is enough. People make an issue of these trowels rusting bad but that's only the case if you leave them wet overnight. A little rub of sand paper every now and then and an oily rag to wrap it in and wipe down. Proper job.

I still stand by Marshall Town Extralite being the best trowel on the planet. Either stainless or spring steel or more modernly called "carbon" now ffs :rolleyes:

I still stand by Marshall Town Extralite being the best trowel on the planet. Either stainless or spring steel or more modernly called "carbon" now ffs :rolleyes:
I agree, the difference with the nela one at the minute for me is its noticeabley heavier than that mt extralite which is the best trowel I've used

I agree, the difference with the nela one at the minute for me is its noticeabley heavier than that mt extralite which is the best trowel I've used
I have 3 Mts the oldest over 16 years old but hardly used now.

When I switched from a spring steel Tyzack to a stainless Marshalltown some 25 years ago, the only noticeable difference was the breaking in time with stainless steel.
There was no going back to rusty trowels back then & there certainly isn't now.
I have the Nela bucket trowel that was rusting badly within 3 days. Don't get me wrong it's a great (maybe the best) bucket trowel available, but all the best intentions in the world to keep it mint were gone in the first week.
And that is my memory of spring steel plastering trowels also, black and rusty in no time at all.

When I switched from a spring steel Tyzack to a stainless Marshalltown some 25 years ago, the only noticeable difference was the breaking in time with stainless steel.
I have the Nela bucket trowel that was rusting badly within 3 days. Don't get me wrong it's a great (maybe the best) bucket trowel available, but all the best intentions in the world to keep it mint were gone in the first week.
And that is my memory of spring steel plastering trowels also, black and rusty in no time at all.
So your saying all kriptonite trowels are shite?? Never seen f**k**g Superman using one ffs

That's so strange you say that as I'm absolutely the opposite to you, only started plastering 2002 was brought up on stainless steel then last year took up the Carbon for a try (after reading the joys of them from the likes of marshy, olican, vfr, beddy , hicky, cornileus) as have always found stainless to be crap after so long and will never go back tbh, I know we are all different and accept that,tbh it doesn't matter what we use just interesting how we all differ.
Still having said all that I'm still think and use Speedskim st blue plastic to flatten and nearly finish as often as I can and believe that it is the ultimate trowel in that department, it will never be beaten or bettered imo anyway

That's so strange you say that as I'm absolutely the opposite to you, only started plastering 2002 was brought up on stainless steel then last year took up the Carbon for a try (after reading the joys of them from the likes of marshy, olican, vfr, beddy , hicky, cornileus) as have always found stainless to be crap after so long and will never go back tbh, I know we are all different and accept that,tbh it doesn't matter what we use just interesting how we all differ.
Still having said all that I'm still think and use Speedskim st blue plastic to flatten and nearly finish as often as I can and believe that it is the ultimate trowel in that department, it will never be beaten or bettered imo anyway

If a DIY bod asks me what trowel he should get I always steer him in the direction of a carbon Ragni.
I point out that they will never in their lifetime break in a premium stainless.

I don't recall the Marshalltown being a step backwards after a few years with a spring steel Tyzack (and they were the choice of the trade at the time) so I don't see me being blown away if I switched back?

Besides, it's all changed now & how many use the same trowel for everything?
Marshalltown, 13" for render, 14" for plastering, Mediflex for finishing, s*p*r*lex for patching & maybe a tickle with the plastic to piss the decorator off.

I do miss admiring my lovely shiny trowel after a screed had gone down .. I admit that!

Ordered a 13inch premium and 14inch medi today, local hardware shop was out of premiums, and only 13inch medi, so at least I've something to look forward to waiting on me coming home Monday or Tuesday lol. Not good when I'm an impatient soul though.