Monocouche over render?

Members online

I'd suggest the most cost efficient and easy solution for this or similar applications would be sanding painted wall a bit before application of Arenino with a mesh in it and, to have the best link with painted but solid render, mix Arenino with water + 1 liter of Vimarlatex 883 per bag.

We'll have be posting some photos of a similar jobs soon.

If irregularities in the existing painted solid render more than 5-8mm, Rasolite (similar to Parinter) could be applied to unify the substrate and then Arenino over Rasolite. If irregularities are less than 5mm, Arenino could be used on it's own per the post above.

Just because it's cracked doesn't mean is blown and not a sound substrate. Retrofitting some bed joint reinforcement will help control cracking.

Joint reinforce the cracks totally agree ! But for me a old render is rarely a suitable background for new render for many reasons

With parinter it's a 4mm render system so if there's a few cracks with it being fully meshed it ain't going any where
I wouldn't be putting mono over mind
Each to there own I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4mm of parinter is fine ! But it's only as good as the bond between the substrate and the old render

I'd suggest the most cost efficient and easy solution for this or similar applications would be sanding painted wall a bit before application of Arenino with a mesh in it and, to have the best link with painted but solid render, mix Arenino with water + 1 liter of Vimarlatex 883 per bag.

then mono ?

Yep agree totally! Thought that was the Point of this thread ? Going over cracked render with mono ?

Sure, I agree. Saying that, if the existing render is tired but still solid, it could be face-lifted a bit with a help of thin coating Arenino. On it's own or over Rasolite is irregularities in the older render are too significant mate.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have not understood most of the technical stuff but I have understood enough to know that what my builder is proposing is somewhat risky because of the additional weight on top of old render. It would also have to be done very carefully with exactly the right materials. It sounds as though if it worked, it would be great, but if he made even a small omission then it would be a costly failed experiment. I think it's something that should only be done by someone who has a lot of experience in this area. I know my builder used to concentrate on new builds before the financial meltdown, so perhaps he is used to using the monocouche in that way. He works on extensions now.

I feel as though there is too much of an element of risk involved. I think I would end up being too anxious for too long.

I think this is a fantastic forum. I can see how much you guys learn from each other and I appreciate your willingness to share your expertise with a homeowner. I'd tried reading things online and could not find any situation that really matched mine, which meant I could not make a decision. Thank you for all your input.

Sure, I agree. Saying that, if the existing render is tired but still solid, it could be face-lifted a bit with a help of thin coating Arenino. On it's own or over Rasolite is irregularities in the older render are too significant mate.
I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have not understood most of the technical stuff but I have understood enough to know that what my builder is proposing is somewhat risky because of the additional weight on top of old render. It would also have to be done very carefully with exactly the right materials. It sounds as though if it worked, it would be great, but if he made even a small omission then it would be a costly failed experiment. I think it's something that should only be done by someone who has a lot of experience in this area. I know my builder used to concentrate on new builds before the financial meltdown, so perhaps he is used to using the monocouche in that way. He works on extensions now.

I feel as though there is too much of an element of risk involved. I think I would end up being too anxious for too long.

I think this is a fantastic forum. I can see how much you guys learn from each other and I appreciate your willingness to share your expertise with a homeowner. I'd tried reading things online and could not find any situation that really matched mine, which meant I could not make a decision. Thank you for all your input.

Back to substrate is best in my opinion

Alex I got 230m2 job to quote over existing render that is absolutely solid, I would like to have a look at these for it and a chat.
Tbh I feel nervous as poop about doing it but going off you, curry n bobby saying they had no problems I would probably do a few test areas to make sure on this one and if ok I'll go for it.

4mm of parinter is fine ! But it's only as good as the bond between the substrate and the old render

The old debate about rendering over a painted substrate will always be there
Parinter was made for this job.
It's up to the plasterer to survey the paint and it's condition that do a pull test.
Your right there is a chance it might fail,like any material going on the wall.
Some are happy staying in the warm skimming aunty Joan's ceiling over artex,which could fail.
I've done lots of render re fits with parinter with a texture finish and have another in a few weeks.200m2 to go at
I won't lose any sleep worrying about it

@Vince if you get the job feel free to ping me a message and I'll talk you through the process [emoji106]

Last edited:
It's up to the plasterer to survey the paint and it's condition that do a pull test.
Some are happy staying in the warm skimming aunty Joan's ceiling over artex,which could fail.
I've done lots of render re fits with parinter with a texture finish and have another in a few weeks.200m2 to go at

@Vince if you get the job feel free to ping me a message and I'll talk you through the process [emoji106]

Would you do mono over it if the paint was sound bobby.

And without bragging how many have you done over painted render? And what is when was the first one you ever did (I.e how long ago)?

How do you float up parinter...power float? What textured finish...silicone thin coat?

Theres nothing wrong with going over painted render with parinter and a mono at say 13mm. its the renderers job to determine what the substrates like ie flaking paint or water ingress and if it needs to come off or you can go over the top,if in doubt get there rep to come out and have a gander that's what there paid to do.i wouldn't go over a thick acrylic paint, several layers of paint, paint that's delaminating, gloss, whitewashes or inclines over 10d
Weve done 100s of projects using it, with monorex,clair,fin moyen thin coats etc right from when we one of the outfits that trialled it for parex when it first came over nearly 10 years ago now, touch wood ive never had a come back with it, but its common sense from the render to determine if the substrates suitable or not, its not the product that's at fault more a poor shout from the renderer if it fails.

Bragging??!!
I'm giving you advice you numpty on a render you have no idea about!

Only being humorous mate, true I never used it , that's why I asking as you used it , I always read threads people have talked about using it tbh never 100% trusted it would be ok but take yours currys n owls views and experience with it as good indication it been ok or not