Microcement dark patches

r6evo

Hi all,

2 years ago we had a dormer installed on our house which had an en-suite bathroom with 2 walls done in microcement.

Only recently has 2 small patches appeared around the silicone sealant area of the tray where it looks like water has been absorbed. I’m completely blaming the missus for excessive scrubbing of the sealant which has allowed water to penetrate. :)

Anyway, is this possible to save? I’m happy to remove and re-seal around the tray, but I fear it would not stick to the cement in its current state.

I’ve also attached pictures of how it looked pre cement as I wanted to document the build as it was done. Now that I know a little more I know that they didn’t use adequate plasterboard, but this problems seems to stem from broken sealant around the tray.

Any advice welcome, thanks

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2652.jpeg
    IMG_2652.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2650.jpeg
    IMG_2650.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2651.jpeg
    IMG_2651.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2654.jpeg
    IMG_2654.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
Hi all,

2 years ago we had a dormer installed on our house which had an en-suite bathroom with 2 walls done in microcement.

Only recently has 2 small patches appeared around the silicone sealant area of the tray where it looks like water has been absorbed. I’m completely blaming the missus for excessive rubbing of the penis which has allowed me to penetrate. :)

Anyway, is this possible to save? I’m happy to remove and re-seal around the tray, but I fear it would not stick to the cement in its current state.

I’ve also attached pictures of how it looked pre cement as I wanted to document the build as it was done. Now that I know a little more I know that they didn’t use adequate plasterboard, but this problems seems to stem from broken sealant around the tray.

Chris
:oops:

Hi all,

Only recently has 2 small patches appeared around the silicone sealant area of the tray where it looks like water has been absorbed. I’m completely blaming the missus for excessive scrubbing of the sealant which has allowed water to penetrate. :)

Chris
Hi Chris

I would personally remove the boards and start again.Standard plasterboard and skim is absolutely fine as long as application is installed correctly.Cement based Microcements unfortunately rely on a pu sealer that's why I use epoxy based(Forcrete).

Should you need any further information please feel free to contact me 07719330726 or email concreteinteriorfinishes@gmail.com

Kind Regards

Rich

Morning mate, first off the boarded walls are incorrect as you have pictured. Regardless of whatever finish your putting on your walls they should land and sit on top of the shower tray and not next to it. This aids water run off to definitely fall into tray. Over time with failings in sealant water would eventually get into this gap. Currently I'd say where your sealant has failed the water has got below it and absorbed into the micro cement surface. The darkening in colour is solely where has got past the micro cement sealer. I wouldn't be too surprised if you have a moisture patch in ceiling below it soo enough if not already.
Currently for the cheapest easiest fix I would remove silicone, allow the area to dry a few days then reapply silicone. A better fix would be to have a small tile upstand at the base of the shower and sealed correctly. This might seem unsightly but generally with a decent tile colour match to wall it looks OK. The full job would be as Ritch said which would be to re board and do it again. Board over the shower floor correctly this time. This is obviously more expensive and timely. I don't think the micro cement installer is at fault as they have gone on how the board was installed (unless they stuck the board on
too)
The silicone has done its job so far for last 2 years but factors such as time, cleaning etc will reduce its life. I generally recommend removing and re silicone every 12 mo the or so or if itsshowing signs of mold or coming away from the surface its sealing.
Hope this helps
Rob