lines from the trowel

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve

right, i was practicing in the garage this moring and when i was smoothing the plaster i was getting lines from the corner of the float, it was getting me annoyed as the wall looks good apart from the lines, whats the problem?
my float aint old
any help appreciated

Could be that its not broken in properly yet or you might have caught the edge and put a nick in it. Use your thumb nail to run over the area that the damage seems to be and you might feel it.

when you say 'float' do you mean polyeurathane float or plastering/finish trowel?
if youre on about your finish trowel and its pretty new try grinding the corners of it on a kerbstone or somesuch
always keep the back edge of your trowel clean when troweling up
if you try to trowel up while the plaster is still soft youll get lines in it everytime till it firms up a bit
if youve developed a 'nick' in the trowel run it over a kerbstone or an oilstone to remove it

You will get lines when you lay it on. When you have layed it on, let it pull in a bit, then go over the lines.
This 'might' leave more smaller lines but thats ok.
Get your second coat on. You will have lines again.
Let it pull in and take the lines out again.
Now as the plaster pulls in, you keep taking the lines out. As in, 10 minutes, take the lines out. 10 minutes later, take lines out. etc...
You will end up with a fairly line free wall :)
Now polish it.

It takes time to get the knack mate. keep at it. Learn how the muck works on different surfaces and observe the different times it take to pull in on different surfaces.
Its not the kinda job you can just get going at. It takes practice and a low pay for a couple of years! ;D

thanks for all the replys, i really appreciate it.
i will have a good look at the float and see what the edges are like, its no easy but im a lot better than i was when i did the course, practice makes it perfect

just another thought... im right handed and i only grind off the front/top two corners of my trowel and i work from left to right...
if i was to work the other way the back edges leave lines so id have to swap grips on the trowel, which i find awkward and only do when i absolutely have to...

Status
Not open for further replies.